.!.

3054546915_73ace4cddc

Today on “Trivial Things People Care About And Probably Shouldn’t,” we look at opposition to a proposed city ordinance attempting to give religious organizations the right to keep cremated human remains on their property. Pretty silly, huh? Well, maybe not.

The opposition, led by Americans United for Separation of Church and State, argues the law would essentially deny a right to the nonreligious, and thus be promoting religion in general. But the ashes of dead people? Well, yeah.

Berkeley does not allow mausoleums, graveyards or crematoriums within city limits due to possible health hazards—meaning, of course, the coming Zombiepocalypse.

It may not matter much, but the ordinance does place restrictions on how the carbon is supposed to be kept, including storing it in an “approved” structure called a columbarium. Approved as in … relating to the health hazard? Maybe, maybe not—as the AUSCS doesn’t really care, as evidenced by a letter sent to the Berkeley City Council:

“Under the proposed regulation … religious groups with a dedicated meeting space would be allowed to inter cremated ashes within that meeting space, whereas the nonreligious would be forced to travel outside the city limits to inter their loved ones.”

We gotta say, we kinda feel the pull of the whole equal-rights thing here.

Image Source: mojoey under Creative Commons

Bully movies

Group Opposes Ordinance to Let Religious Sanctuary Hold Ashes [Daily Cal]

adfadsf said:
Jan 31, 2009 at 5:08 pm

it’s a loophole, and if it’s going to continue in it’s loophole existence, i’d hope that they’d let every one else participate in the entering of circular holes.

Horror Podcasting Network » Midnight Podcast Episode 121 said:

[...] Real News: “Zombie Creation: Right Or Privilege?” [...]