In times like these, the unspoken wedding of “philosophy major” to “cardboard box” looms especially menacingly in your parents’ minds.  However, in a triumphant response to pragmatic parental units everywhere, UC Berkeley honored Slusser Professor of Philosphy John Searle yesterday, its shining exemplar of what pro philosophers are made of, for his fifty years of instruction at UC Berkeley.

Even if you haven’t had the chance to take one of Searle’s stellar “philosophy of mind” or “philosophy of society” courses, you may recognize him from a photo in the Free Speech Movement Cafe that depicts him marching alongside his pupil, Mario Savio.  Searle was the first tenured professor at Cal to get behind the Free Speech Movement.  Since then, Searle has earned a Jean Nicod prize and a National Humanities Medal.  Fellow braniacs such as Thomas Nagel (who you might remember if you hadn’t slept through so many freshman psychology lectures) spoke of these and myriad other personal and professional accomplishments at Searle’s ceremony.

Searle declared on Monday that he has no plans to retire and hopes to continue teaching undergraduates.  It is not often that a 76 year old of Searlean (yes, that is a real term, which says something about how baller this guy is) repute desires to continue teaching in fluorescently illuminated and overcrowded lecture halls, so seize the opportunity, fellow undergrads!  Professor Searle, you’ve strayed quite a distance from your proverbial cardboard-box.  Hats off, from The Daily Clog.

Image Source: John Searle
Philosophy Professor Honored After 50 Years at UC Berkeley [Daily Cal]

philosophy major said:
Feb 24, 2009 at 9:41 pm

“In times like these, the unspoken wedding of “philosophy major” to “cardboard box” looms especially menacingly in your parents’ minds.”

And mistakenly so. Philosophy majors have the second-highest score on the LSAT, the test that determines entrance to law school. A high score translates into a good law school, which translates into membership at a high-paying firm.

http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/economics/undergrad/table.htm

not a tumor said:
Feb 25, 2009 at 6:33 am

Yeah. Hats off from the Daily Cal, to one of the professors on this campus most notorious for making passes at his students and hiding from harassment claims behind his inflated academic reputation. Way to identify such a fine role model.

michel foucault said:
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:46 am

you’re just jealous he didn’t make a pass at you.

Jacques Derrida said:
Feb 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Ah, Sarl.