Yes, it's exactly what you think.We’re all familiar with the situation where one wakes up in the morning to a blinding light shoved arrogantly into one’s face, only to realize it’s 11:40 a.m. and the window’s blinds aren’t closed. And yet we’re always too lazy to get up and close them, so the obvious solution is to stay in bed for 20 minutes until things work themselves out.

Well, fear not fellow nite owls, because glass that can control how much light goes through it may be coming to a store near you … way, way in the future.

Indeed, researchers at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory are working on glass that can do just that via some sort of “low-voltage electro-chromatic coating” scientastic technobabbular doowackness.

All the cool opportunities to recreate favorite sci-fi scenes are second only to the potential the new tech has for saving energy and money. In fact, using present ancient nonlevitating technologies, the reduction in energy use (for example, cooling your house when it’s a Brazillion degrees outside) can be up to a whole percentage point.

The idea behind the glass is that a coating can reflect visible light and infrared. We smell a new techno-economic paradigm in the making!

Image Source: Márcio Cabral de Moura under Creative Commons
Berkeley researches energy-efficient glass [ABC7]