An oak-cupant.Ah, the ties between Berkeley and Israel grow more tangled and antagonistic yet.  What with this recall business all twisted into financial and moral oblivion and “Israeli Apartheid/Peace and Diversity Week” just behind us, the last thing we needed was a direct confrontation.  Unfortunately for former tree-sitter Tristan Anderson, this confrontation came in the form of a canister of tear gas to the head.

Of course, Anderson is not representative of Berkeley.  Still, he was an unyielding occupying force in the trees outside Memorial Stadium during the 21-month protest that ended last September (hundreds of thousands of tax dollars later).  Then known as “Cricket,” his friends and fellow sitters praised 37-year-old Anderson for his idealism and resilient opposition to oppression everywhere.  It was this very spirit that fatefully brought him to the West Bank in Israel—after getting involved in a protest that escalated to dangerous levels—and left Cricket in critical condition.  The Clog sends Anderson its hopes for a successful recovery.

Image Source: Ingridtaylar under Creative Commons
Berkeley tree-sitter injured in West Bank [NBC Bay Area], via UCBLJ

William Wallace said:

Rebel without a cause becomes a martyr without mourners.

Me said:

Yup, the IDF have a slightly lower tolerance for bullshit than the Berkeley police.

IDF Hunter said:

Another example of the Israeli military using deadly force against civilians.

rick sterling said:

What a smug and dehumanized commentary. By most accounts Tristan is in critical condition and could die. One report says his brain was exposed. Israel builds a 25 high foot wall which has been ruled illegal by the World Court, steals the land of villagers, then fires these weapons on non violent demonstrators. I was there and know the situation. This is yet another crime being perpetrated with US support, US money and the support of idiot commentators who don’t know what they are smirking about.

Sonny said:

The commentary is beyond smug, it’s vicious. The person who wrote it – Alex Bigman – obviously feels duty-bound to justify whatever Israel does, including to American citizens. What’s the deal, Alex?

yaman said:

I don’t think Alex is justifying what the Israeli military did (and does regularly, but usually to people who aren’t white). Although, on the heels of the Clog’s earlier paean to the sham of “Israeli Peace and Diversity Week,” this is certainly ironic. Is it really still safe to come, O Orwellian Israeli PR firms?

Gert said:

“It was this very spirit that fatefully brought him to the West Bank in Israel—after getting involved in a protest that escalated to dangerous levels—and left Cricket in critical condition. The Clog sends Anderson its hopes for a successful recovery.”

Alex Bigot is a vicious crackpot who clearly justifies whatever Israel does to defend its Apartheid Occupation against unarmed protesters, even if these happen to be American compatriots who get a canister of teargas in the head by the wonderful cowards of the AOF. And the fact that he was a treesitter once makes it all a more aggravating offence by Anderson, at least in Bigot’s diseased mind.

Alex, you’re beyond help…

CJP said:

This is tragic for this man and his family.. problem is he had no business being there ofcourse. Protesting in a military zone might get your ass shot. Thing is, if he had decided to protest in any number of the other atrocious places on earth like Somalia, Sudan, Darfur, Sri Lanka, Tibet–He probably would have been shot on site immediately. Israel being the Law respecting Democracy it is ends up performing surgery and trying to save his life..how ironic. This Wall he was protesting will prevent many a would be Palestinian homicide bomber from blowing himself up in an Israeli restaurant full of innocents. Don’t forget Palestinian mothers of Homicide Bombers cheer the destruction of jews.

Mike E said:

The Israeli occupation forces had no business there, of course. At least according to the International Court. Israel is annexing more and more land- in this case, a large chunk of Ni’ilin. Plus, every week it is announced that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are expanding, or new ones are appearing. Israel is demonstrating that it does not recognize Palestine’s right to exist.
Tristan is an interesting, smart, funny guy, who is a victim of stupid Israeli policy, funded by American tax money. The policy pursued by the Israelis will never lead to peace, just perpetual war.
Of course, those who blindly support Israel in all cases will say that this latest tragedy is defensive, as if a foreign army has the right to occupy a village and shoot people when they throw stones!!! Tristan was not violent, however, just someone supporting the victims of American foreign policy (the Israeli Occupation Forces are less likely to shoot Palestinians when internationals are around).
When will the US wake up and realize that we are funding this terror?
Anyway, I hope Tristan recovers, and that he can tell the story for himself.

Judo Nim said:

As an Israeli I say first, condolences to the family. Second it was a freak 10000 to 1 accident, a wrong place at the wrong time thing. The Israeli cops use this same tear gas against Jewish religious fanatic protesters all the time, not just Palestinians. Tear gas is a recognized non-violent crowd control measure used by every western democratic police force to PREVENT loss of life, not cause it. If the Israeli police went in on foot without tear gas, many more on both sides would die.
This fellow just had very bad luck.

Mitch Haase said:

tear gas canisters to the head would have been a great way to end the moronic “tree sitting.”

chip said:

I’m going to guess Anderson did not live in Berkeley…

And on the bright side, if Anderson sues at least there will be some US dollars to pay his bill

Yaakov Sullivan said:

Another sexy and nice guy is gone. He used to be a tree sitter and had lots of interests in many subjects.
His idealism is presioous. I am a tree sitter myself and I hope to come to Palestine and be with my people the Palestinians.

Yaakov Sullivan said:

As a fellow pagan tree lover I am in unity with him and his family. May Allah bless this sexy and smart young man and comrade.

Jane Welford said:

Firstly, he is not gone- he is being cared for by some of the best doctors in the wortld, and has been upgraded to “serious condition”. ALso- he was in a mob of 400 protestors throwing stones and launching projectiles at Israeli governmental forces- why is that a “peaceful” demonstration? We know the ISM tapes EVERYTHING. Why is their no footage of this until Tristan was hurt? What are they trying to hide? Some have even speculated that he was wounded by a Palestinian rock.

nick said:

I dont feel bad for this POS. Keep playing with fire and you’ll get burned.

yosef said:

Yaakov you need to change your name

francesca + europe said:

Solidarity to Tristan … at all .
I could feel small writing your words..
and.. wow .. All my congratulation for your bravery !!!

francesca + europe said:

.. supposing you can understand sarcasm( about your bravery .. )
Stay Human

Careful reader said:

Yaakov Sulliva is a joke. He is a gay Catholic Jew who is married to a Palestinian man, and he believes in the religious teachings of a homeless street preacher.

Nim Chimpsky said:

Zionists, like their North American Golem, don’t understand peaceful protest. When they have to mourn one of their own every time we and the Palestinians have to mourn one of ours, then maybe they’ll learn to be peaceful and, consequently of necessity, treat the Palestinian “goyim” as equals.

neverforget said:

There was not a mob of 400 people throwing stones when this happened. People had left the wall and came back into the village and nothing was happening. Most people had gone home. Tristan was taking pictures when this happened. Also, this was not a tear gas cannister but a tear gas bullet meant to be shot at people.The bullet used was a 40mm tear gas bullet – it’s not a cannister that is lobbed, like the m204 launched tear gas grenade that comes out of the grenade launcher of an m16. This is a bullet that has 400m range and it explodes on impact with a small amount of chemical weapon. It’s not smokey tear gas, it’s a quick puff. It only disperses upon impact, unlike tear gas cannisters which deploy in middair to scare you away and help aid in running away.This bullet makes very little noise and is made to be shot at a person – just not in the head.

Yaakov Sullivan said:

Once again people here are bashing me for no reason. just because I am a proud Muslim gay convert and I strongly support my fellow tree sitters.
BTW to all the smart people here: Muhammed PBUH Used to be a pegan like me before he became a Muslim. This is the reson he talks about “Jew tree” in his preachings.

Yaakov Sullivan said:

Yosef thanks to remind me about my name.
You right my real name was James when I used to be a roman Catholic.
When I became a Catholic Jew I have changed my name to Yaakov and then finally when I saw the light and became a Muslim, my name now is Yaaqub. Unfortunately both my boyfriend and my husband are used to call me Yaakov and it takes some time to get used to the new name.

groundsupport said:

Couple things:
1) That picture is not of Tristan.
2) Before anyone pulls the usual cards (oh wait, it’s already happened,) Tristan lives in Oakland and is a union member (which means he has a job, folks.)
3) I really don’t think he’s pagan.

Bob Sullivan said:

Yaakov– you are an embarrassment to your family. Knock it off. Stop using the situation in Israel to get your name out there.

And use a dictionary– “pagan” is how that word is spelled. Surely the Catholic nuns in Whitefish Bay, WI taught you that.

You are like a New Age believer– a little of this, a little of that. Pick a religion and stick with it.

emu360v1.4.rar said:

I believe that is one of the such a lot vital info for me. And i’m satisfied studying your article. But wanna commentary on few common things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Just right job, cheers