.!.

Terminat-bear say "I'll be back ... "
Hey guess what, guys! Guess what! Give up? Do ya? Do you give up yet? OK, so we just got this e-mail (you probably got it, too, if you have a Calmail account) giving us some great news about changes to Tele-BEARS, effective for fall! Get excited because they’re totes awesome! Like, totes!!!

Alright, fine. We were kidding. The changes kind of stink. Like a fat turd in the July sun.  We’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the budget is to blame (no, really?!)  but this doesn’t mean that the new Phase II unit restrictions aren’t incredibly inconvenient.

Here’s how the changes are explained in the e-mail (we’re not gonna lie–it took us a couple reads to fully wrap our mind around things):

During Phase II of Tele-BEARS, undergraduate students will not be able to add a course if they are already enrolled and/or waitlisted in 16 or more units. For example, if you have 15 units, you will be allowed to add a 4-unit class, bringing the total to 19 units. However, if you have 16 units or more, you will not be able to add or waitlist for another course during Phase II. Please note that both enrolled and waitlisted units are
included in the total unit count.

You might want to start strategizing now, because Phase I starts on April 13. Godspeed, kids. You’ll need it.

Image Source: topcat_angel under Creative Commons
The Council of Undergraduate Deans [UC Berkeley]
Tele-BEARS [UC Berkeley]

adfadsf said:

i read in the daily cal that some dude argued (in favor of this cap) that students should be more “responsible” and not shop around.

bullshit.

shopping around IS a part of being responsible. being responsible in that you’re weighing the options of what class you can handle during the semester, and which ones will probably kill you. I wonder how many students next semester will cry their eyes out in depression and frustration because they’re taking classes they couldn’t handle (because they couldn’t switch to something they liked better), or classes that they’ve found out they really hate/are boring. myself, i wouldn’t want to be stuck with a class i found boring or unstimulating.

this cap sucks. i’m graduating this semester but i feel so bad for the people who have to experience this switch.

it is definitely not cohesive to a more enriched and responsible (by weighing what classes one can handle in the semester) education at Cal.

this cap is also a cap on the opportunities to take classes students find interesting or pertinent to their educational/life goals. BOO!!!

Christine Borden said:

Well said, adfadsf.

For those interested, the article adfadsf’s talking about is here.

Beetle said:

If you view things in a very narrow sense, I suppose that’s right. Then again, when you do shopping as part of “being responsible,” you take up seats that people who actually need that course can’t take. They then have to take sections that jar badly with their schedule, making it impossible to take that course that’s only offered once every four years because it has a schedule conflict with the one open section, since all other sections are filled with people who aren’t even going to take the class, so you replace it with another, inferior course which satisfies that prerequisite, but that interferes with that other course… and then that student cries her eyes out in depression and frustration because they’re taking classes that not only could they not handle, but don’t improve their education at all.

So no, I don’t think you can simply view it from the point of view of a single student as if no other students exist when you call shopping around for courses “responsible.” It may be personally optimal, at the expense of everyone else, who may be doing the same thing (we call this “tragedy of the commons, typically), in which case the person running the system (the university) can change the rules so that the personally optimal choice is less harmful to others.

adfadsf said:

“Then again, when you do shopping as part of “being responsible,” you take up seats that people who actually need that course can’t take”
By the time Phase II rolls around people (according to the old system) should already be enrolled in the classes they need the most.

“{They then have to take sections that jar badly with their schedule, making it impossible to take that course that’s only offered once every four years because it has a schedule conflict with the one open section, since all other sections are filled with people who aren’t even going to take the class, so you replace it with another, inferior course which satisfies that prerequisite, but that interferes with that other course…”

This happens already with the current system. Schedule conflicts aren’t uncommon. But most of all I think this primarily happens in the case where the student does really poor planning with their schedule/major over all the semesters they’ve been at Cal. If they NEED to take a class that’s offered once every four years, then Phase I is where they should sign up for it. Do you agree?

Unit cap sucks.

If they propose a reduction in units, we should propose a reduction in tuition fees. If we’re gonna be taught less, why pay the same rate? But I guess it doesn’t work that way.

Anyway, this unit cap is a terrible terrible idea. whoever proposed it needs to find another way.

Learning is the #1 most important thing about college, yet they chip away at it in a major way (aka our ability to take more than 19 units, and our ability to choose classes that we find the most beneficial to our goals in college, whether they be good or bad goals).

blah blah blah.

Beetle said:

No, you don’t need to take the once every four years course. But if you have less flexibility in the courses you do need because other people are “shopping for courses,” then you lose the opportunity when it rolls around.

Your perception of what you can accomplish with Phase I is simply incorrect in many fields. In many science and engineering fields, sections will be full before your Phase I appointment rolls around, and it’s impossible to fit all your necessary courses into Phase I anyway.

Is it a unit cap or a Phase II enrollment cap? Can they enroll in more units during the adjustment period?

Beetle said:

I went and double-checked, and you are working off of incorrect information. It is not a unit cap. You can still enroll in as many courses as your department lets you, you just have to wait until the adjustment period.

Ashland said:

While the unit restriction is annoying for seniors who are already enrolled in the classes they need to graduate by phase 1, the restriction is supposed to help freshman and sophomores. The reason this was implemented was to help make sure all students are enroll in 12-13 units by phase 2 so students are running to the registrar’s office or their college in a panic about not being full time. Whether or not this is the best way to go about this, I’m skeptical.

Regardless, you guys are forgetting 2 things. First, you can enroll in units up to your colleges unit limit, or more if you get approval, during the adjustment period. Second, you can still enroll in 19 units during phase 2. Once you have 16 or more units, you cannot add another class, but if you try to add a class when you have 15 or less, telebears will not stop you from exceeding 16 units.

blog said:

Aw, i thought this was a very high-quality post. The theory is that Let me generate this way furthermore – taking time plus actual focus to have a decent piece of writing… nevertheless the things should i point out… That i put things off a lot without seem to put together nearly anything finished… Respect

Rusztowania budowlane said:

Websites worth visiting…

Georgianna Fukuroku said:

What an inspiring post, many thanks. Hope to read more of your post.

Rusztowania said:

adult social networking…

Spittidanda said:

we dont contemplate these people registered that may that it was only a detail out of your display and you can probably try to take a look it with a package described as film obtain together with really purchase the Web address through aol :) pray as i made it easier to :)

xaweri4stewere said:

Have in the amazing get the job done!! I really like how you published the and i like the colors there on this site. Pretty decent feedback depicted right here :)

Attattoxzthyona said:

information|thanks for great informations It’s a wonderful |Good job. I’m definitely going to bookmark you! |Thanks for good information that comes out to

long feather earrings said:

I appreciate an unbelievable post, would examine your personal others reviews. i appreciate your thinking for this, I soon became somewhat struck by this article. Merit again! You commit a good moment. Displays the beauty through fantastic report here. I think if a greater number thought about it like this, they’d have a better moment in time get the hang ofing the situation.

conechosklas77 said:

how to take that socializing privileges issued with the divorce? my best ex-wife isnt complying with the visitation that we arranged in your separation and shes at this moment enabling us to see w/my infant.. shes changed on the number of points absent and now we obtained opted for connect with nearly shed off/pick together my own gal Chemical gruesome disk drive it, though there are occasions that gain all the way up in that area where they arent dwelling!! I have experimented with phoning all the surfaces, still I want a lawyer along with the separation and divorce leaves everybody got destroyed D that i cant afford to pay for a legal representative!! precisely what do i perform? I live in Jersey, By the way

xrumer latest elgg mod said:

I like this web site very considerably, Its a really nice position to read and receive info .