.!.

hobo

Frugality is quite the craze nowadays. In Berkeley, (formerly) middle class citizens are taking cautionary spending to a whole new level, taking a cue from the folks who seem to get by on just about nothing. Berkeley’s homeless shelters and free meal programs have been experiencing a major strain

Boarding Gate divx The Flyboys

lately as demand grows at an utterly disconcerting pace. The Clog can only pray that the hipster population doesn’t latch onto these:

*Food Not Bombs, which provides free meals at People’s Park. Get there early; they expect to be feeding a record 200 people daily this summer.

*The Berkeley Food and Housing Project, which has served 12,000 meals this quarter of the fiscal year, up from nearly 7,000 last quarter.

*Lodging on UC Berkeley property. Beware, the UC Police Department has confronted 170 lodgers between Jan. 1 and April 16, up from about 70 people during that period last year.

*The Youth Emergency Assistance Hostel in Downtown Berkeley. Those between the ages of 18 and 25 are eligible to join the 130 people who have currently been living there since November. Last year, that number was a more manageable 107.

*Selling Street Spirit, a newspaper managed and distributed by the homeless. Competition for the position may be tough; in the last six months, Street Spirit has received 50 job applications. The pay isn’t great, but hey, it’s probably more than we make here at the Daily Cal.

Image Source: Pedrosimoes7 under Creative Commons.
More People Seek Services Typically Used by Homeless [Daily Cal]