Construction is an easy thing to hate. Coincidentally, construction in Berkeley spreads faster than the rats in our kitchen (please don’t ask).

Dear Construction Sites of the Berkeley Campus,

Stop. Just stop it already. Students do not wake up at 7 a.m. or even 8 a.m. (technically they are still half-asleep even if they are so-called “awake” at these times). Although we hated on the tree people, they were good for something. And that is sleeping in. You have sufficiently terrorized all the international students at I-House with your loud noises that must commence promptly at 7:36 a.m. at the Memorial oak grove. Why bother buying an alarm clock?

Also, you made 30,000+ students squeeze through a hole one-person wide when you worked on Sather Gate. It still looks the same to us. At least put a unicorn on it or something. Now it’s onto the Campanile, huh? Great. Our previously glorious view is dullsville.berkeley.edu keyword: your fault.

It is a true conspiracy: UC Berkeley is committed to ensuring construction takes place within earshot of all students for all their fourish years on campus. Whether it’s some random science building that you don’t quite understand or a new parking lot, it is always there, reminding you that soon, very soon, the Berkeley campus will engulf the city of Berkeley until there is nothing left but gown. Muhahaha. Muhahaha. Ha!

So yes, construction, you suck.

Love,

The Clog

YOU SUCK is rant about stupid things in Berkeley. Got some hate? Send us ideas at [email protected]

Image Source: juicyrai under Creative Commons

Jon said:
Jun 29, 2009 at 8:58 am

follow the money: construction is big business

Ben said:
Jun 29, 2009 at 9:22 am

That dullsville.berkeley.edu line is absolutely brilliant.

Derek said:
Jun 30, 2009 at 12:02 am

8-4 job, try getting one

Christine Borden said:
Jun 30, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Derek, I am trying! I would gladly wake up at 7 a.m. if someone paid me.

InBerkeley » Editorial: Construction noise and quality of life said:

[...] Construction suckage extends to the UC [...]

Mary Hodder said:

So that photo above. Check out each of the two buildings behind the construction site. And the one to the right just off screen. That block of Haste has been closed, one driving lane and one parking lane, off and on for 12 years, while we all lived through the construction. And here we are again.

Oy. Welcome to Berkeley.

The Joke:

Why do we have so many contractors and therapists?
Because everyone thinks they can fix everything.