mac-plugged-inWe already knew the internet was for porn and snarky blogs and other important stuff, but is it really possible to go to class online without checking your Facebook every 10 minutes or going on a Wikipedia binge?

We don’t mean the online courses they currently offer as a supplement to your education in the classroom, we’re talking about a full-fledged online UC. No chalk boards, no beer pong, no Asian Ghetto.

The idea comes from Berkeley School of Law dean, Christopher Edley, who advocated creating a “cyber campus” in an opinion piece published in Wednesday’s New York Times. It would cost a little more than a community college education, without any of the hassle of actually moving.

Sure the idea of getting up at 1 p.m. and “going to class” five feet away from our bed and eating Hot Cheetos dipped in mayonnaise without judgment seems momentarily appealing, but we can’t help but wonder whether this is just the final step on the way to complete technological isolation.

The only reason a lot of us even get off the internet is because we have to go class. And with the ability to deliver Nude Sushi and Cheeseboard directly to “class,” they’re giving us less and less incentive to ever leave our room.

Image Source: fzurell under Creative Commons
Boalt Hall Dean Suggests UC Develop New ‘Cyber’ Campus [Daily Cal]

Christine Borden said:
Jul 6, 2009 at 4:21 pm

The Clog needs an option to “like” posts, akin to what’s on Facebook.