how berkeley can you be

In a fun-killing move of Palo Alto proportions, the yearly “How Berkeley Can You Be?” parade has been canceled. No doubt, a terrible gloom will hang over the alcohol and nudity free length of University Avenue this summer. This sad news follows a Fire and Police Department declaration that an extra $8,000 would be necessary to maintain safe levels of Berkeleyness at the event. Surely, a resounding cry of “lame” echoed from the heavens following this demand.

The parade has run for 12 straight years and even receives an $8,000 grant from the city (though $16,000 worth of hedonism apparently goes down.) However, its awesomeness has been slowly draining over the years in the face of increasing pressure not to invite the nudists and restrictions against longstanding parade traditions like throwing candy and serving booze. Indeed, one might say the die was cast when alcohol service was limited to a small fenced off area, decreasing the festival’s revenue by 75 percent.

Nonetheless, festival organizers hint that the festival might return in full swing next year, assuming they can grab a couple corporate sponsorships. The Clog sheds a tear at this irony, but crosses its fingers for the future of this beloved event just the same.

Image Source: dav under Creative Commons.
War on Fun’s New Front: Berkeley [NBC Bay Area]

janine yee-mendoza said:
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:53 am

Berkeley used to be a cutting edge place until the pigs once again seises control and are turning into polise state again.
It is only short time to be expected before blue meanies again out in force and beating everyone and tear gassing every one in sight.

James said:
Feb 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

The only thing worse than your spelling is your opinion.

Malcolm Wardian said:

I wish obtaining in excess of a broken heart can be so uncomplicated as following a couple of steps.. but its not…

bet on boxing said:

Today for almost all DO N’T S When it comes to betting on boxing :. xEOL .1. Do n’t bet on race . Yes its bully you are pleased your race and home ruralists. But to just blindly bet on a paladin cause he was birthed in the same res publica as you or your mothers is just plain dull and will oft meters leave you broke .
I remember one of my Mexican-American employees Juan would always bet with other Mexican co workers on the Pacquiao fights. Juan would always put $ 100 on Pacquiao and the Mexicans would e’er bet on Pacquiao’s Mexican opponent with out any logical system to it what so ever . You do the math, Juan’s a smart guy. xEOL .2. Do n’t bet on your heroes. Yes we all have our boxing betting heroes to the point of where others may call us the term : “nut hugger”. I am a HUGE Roy Jones Jr fan and I will ne’er bet up against him even now when he’s 40 twelvemonths old and a mere shell of the once unvanquishable crack man he used to be for his whole career .
I thought crack man was going to wing back into the ring against Joe Calzaghe that night and he did show up but just for the earliest round unluckily . When you bet on your characters you are again betting blindly with out system of logic particularly when they are way beyond the borders of their primes. xEOL .3. Do n’t bet with Teddy Atlas. Yes I do admire and am inspired by the great guru Teddy Atlas. But it is so obvious that he by design always plunks the heavy under dog who usually has no chance in hell designedly as if to almost secure that the opposite word may happen at any given time . So translation bet on the opposite of what Atlas forebodes .