2190504542_d19200a904

Whether or not you count yourself among Al Gore’s many zealous fans, you may have at some point experienced an instant of staggering skepticism in regards to storing carbon. Perhaps you were casually perusing the produce aisles at your local supermarket, wondering in an absent kind of way whether zucchini casserole truly tickled your fancy, when suddenly it struck you: We’re doing what? Stuffing carbon dioxide underground?

It certainly stinks of avoidance when it comes to the problem of global warming. But if the researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory have their way, they’ll be able to ascertain if carbon sequestration is indeed just full of hot air. Instead of waiting around a few thousand years for a potential subterrestrial explosion, the team is using nanotechnology to examine the process on a much smaller (hence, nano) and faster scale.

Except nanotechnology freaks people out, so progress is kind of slow going; and in the meantime trouble’s a-brewin’ underfoot. Or maybe not. We’re no scientists.

Image Source: 37 °C under Creative Commons
Nanotech: The Key to Storing Carbon? [Reuters]

jlr said:
Jul 31, 2009 at 10:16 am

CO2 released in one big boom? Talk about having absolutely no idea of what the issues are. That Reuters article make no sense.

best deals in dhaka said:

Hello there, You’ve performed an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this site.