You’ve heard it all before—the state’s financial situation is horrible. And as such, so is the university’s. As of July, they had a budget shortfall in the amount of $813 million. So, the expected cuts came …  unpaid furloughs, talk of paycuts, hiring freezes, fee hikes and to top it off, Chancellor Robert Birgeneau announced you won’t be able to stay out late in the libraries during finals anymore.

Luckily, the UC Board of Regents, beacon of fairness and fiscal responsibility, has been here to see us through this tough time. And in their meeting last month, the board approved an additional $500,000 to supplement exective pay at various campuses and also chose to create two new executive spots at UCSF.

Wait—what!?

The move was made in effort to retain executives who would be entitled to fat-cat salaries elsewhere at a time when they are being required to take on more duties. But then—we’re paying more money to attend fewer, larger classes, so what gives?

Shockingly, not all in the university community seem to be on board with the decision, notably union workers who say they’ve also had to take on extra work without an increase in pay.

We’re interested to see how this one plays out.

Image Source: cindylu under Creative Commons
UC Regents Approve Furlough Plan [Daily Cal]
Faculty Warn Salary Cuts May Damage UC System [Daily Cal]
Regents Approve Increases in Executive Pay and Benefits [Daily Cal]

James said:
Aug 11, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Well, at least the regents don’t lack the balls to make tough, unpopular decisions. Unfortunately, some tough, unpopular decisions can also be plain bats**t insane.

Doye O sivils said:

$3 Million of Extravagant Spending Approved by UC President Yudof for UCB Chancellor to hire Consultants. Why does one of the top universities in the world have to spend $3 million of taxpayer money for consultants to do what should be done internally by UCB Chancellor Birgeneau’s work responsibilities?
Who teaches auditors how to audit? Do UC professors and the UCB Academic Senate leadership not have the knowledge to perform what they teach?
Having firsthand knowledge of consulting, I know one cardinal rule, “Don’t bite the hand that pays you.”
In a nutshell, we have a high-paid, skilled UCB Chancellor who is unable or unwilling to do the job he is paid to do. Why do we wonder that students, UC and California are in a financial crisis!
I’m sure taxpayers would not object to the $3 million payout if the money is reimbursed by taking money from the UCB Chancellor’s salary over the next 10 years.
Stop the spending of $3,000,000 on consultants by President Yudof and the UCB Chancellor and do the work of the consultants internally
Respectfully

sex live said:

awesome writing for this an excellent article a lot of people that write articles online don’t get completely credit and i would like to say thank you for your superb work. I adore the site layout as-well you really getting this blog around. I have just tweeted this post. I was kinda looking for this for a while and i will tell my comrades about this blog the will beenticed by thanks