… as we are unofficially dubbing “The Google Books Settlement and the Future of Information Access” conference, rather boringly titled if we do say so ourselves.

But despite the mouthful, the conference name doesn’t give a whole lot of info: It’s basically a bunch of people who have a stake in how libraries are currently run getting together and talking about Google making an online library of sorts.

And like all things related to information and the internet, one of the foremost concerns is privacy. Because you don’t want some dude a hundred miles away to know you’re actually reading Derrida instead of Foucault, or something.

And as Berkeley prof Geoffrey Nunberg (probably known to your parents for showing up on NPR every now and then) put it, “this is the last library.” Wow, way to go all po-mo on the library scene.

Sounds riveting.

Image Source: circulating under Creative Commons
Google Book Search? Try Google Library [CNET]
The Google Books Settlement and the Future of Information Access [Schedule]

survival foods said:

[...]always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I love but don’t get a lot of link love from[...]……

[...]just beneath, are numerous totally not related sites to ours, however, they are surely worth going over[...]……

Cassy Doersam said:

Hey!
I’m very fascinatedby your interesting site Will surely come back to your blog again.
God bless yahoo for pointing me here.

the baobab tree said:

Blogs ou should be reading…

[...]Here is a Great Blog You Might Find Interesting that we Encourage You[...]……