diversity Chancellor Robert Birgeneau announced last week that next year UC Berkeley will be admitting even more international and out-of-state students—because they need the cash.

The move shouldn’t be terribly surprising, given that in-state students pay about $9,750 per year in fees compared to $32,400 for out-of-state students.

Now, given that UC Berkeley is a state university, this move could ruffle some feathers, but given that Berkeley is in the midst of a massive budget deficit and gets only about 25 percent of its funding from the state, it might be about time they looked into foreign (and non-Californian) backers.

But this is also not the first time this has happened, last year international and out-of-state enrollment increased by threefold.

Image Source: chrisjfry under Creative Commons
Chancellor: UC Berkeley to admit more out-of-staters [Mercury News]
UC Hopes to Expand Non-State Admission [Daily Cal]

Ricardo Alberto Gomez said:
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Ummmm… these kinds of policies do not increase diversity, they decrease diversity. It’s based off of the University of Michigan model which has proven to be detrimental for economic and ethnic diversity.

Ricardo Alberto Gomez said:
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:02 pm

More disappointing coverage from the DC/Clog regarding the budget cuts.

Ricardo Alberto Gomez said:
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:07 pm

For the real deal check out this letter to students written by professor UCB Catherine Cole:
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=124984905921&id=575041705&ref=mf

Or this one written by a UCSD prof and in which he writes, “UCSD then becomes a finishing school for out-of-state students from rich families and affluent foreigners. The University of Michigan, now almost fully privatized and being talked about as a model for the new UC, currently enrolls more international students than Mexican American students. ” : http://laprensa-sandiego.org/editorial-and-commentary/how-will-the-university-of-california-survive/

Ricardo Alberto Gomez said:
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:08 pm

*UCB professor Catherine Cole

mediafire rar said:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give one thing back and help others like you helped me.