232958876_0a6bb073feMan passing out leaflets about “Schizophrenia and God’s Will” on campus: meh. Man flyering about “Schizophrenia and God’s Will” with two pale, blond, blue-eyed “robotic”-looking girls: S-K-E-T-C-H. Or so was the logic of UCPD officers Lisa Campbell and Allison Jacobs.

Jacobs described the kids as being programmed – “almost like ‘Little House on the Prairie’ meets robots.” She thanks her “motherly intuition” for enabling her to spot alleged kidnapper/child abuser/former LSD addict/supercreep Phillip Garrido.

Even though he was known on his block as “Creepy Phil” and his home was subject to regular visits and searches (the man even wore a GPS-linked ankle bracelet that tracked his every move), the fact that he was housing his kidnap victim – and the two kids he fathered with her – in his backyard for the past 18 years remained a mystery to the rest of the world.

Well not exactly. Turns out most of the neighbors knew about the suspicious tents all along. Back in 2006 a neighbor called 911 and described Garrido as a “psychotic sex addict who was living with children and had people staying in tents in his backyard.” The investigating officer sent to his home warned Garrido that the tents could be a code violation before leaving.

Here’s some other strange tidbits:

• After not seeing each other for 18 years, Jaycee Dugard, the kidnap victim, greeted her mother by saying, “Hi, mom, I have babies.”
  • Garrido gave an incoherent phone interview to KCRA-TV from the county jail Thursday in which he denied the kidnapping and said that he had turned his life around since the birth of his first daughter 15 years ago.
  • He met his wife while he was serving time at the federal penitentiary.
  • He’s currently under suspicion for the unsolved murders of several prostitutes, whose bodies were dumped near an industrial park where Garrido worked during the 1990s.
  • He and his wife are now on suicide watch in Contra Costa County Jail.

Image Source: Tony Wan Kenobi under Creative Commons

Questions arise over how kidnapper went undetected [Associated Press]
Cops’ instincts ended kidnap saga [Chicago Sun Times]
UCPD Personnel Prove Pivotal in Kidnapping Arrest [Daily Cal]

Anthropoliteia In the News 9/8/09 « Anthropoliteia: the anthropology of policing said:

[...] 2009 by kevinkarpiak If you’ve  been so caught up in the story of the East Bay kidnapping uncovered by UC Berkeley police (for a cogent analysis, and some myth-busting regarding what parole can accomplish, see Jonathan [...]