yudofOh Mark Yudof. We know the last few months haven’t been the easiest for you. And it can’t be fun to have so many people blaming you for all the university’s problems.

While he may not have made all the best calls, we’re willing to believe that the current budget disaster runs a tad deeper than some misguided  executive pay raises and management decisions.

Which is why we cringed a little bit when we read this interview with him in the New York Times.

Here’s what we took away from it:

* Yudof could give a damn about the word origins of “furlough.”
* “The stories of my compensation are greatly exaggerated.”
* He makes a mere $540,000 a year. But that “gets amplified” because people also tend to take into consideration his pension plan. Clearly, they’re just blowing things out of proportion. Right, UC also pays his rent, which is $11,750 a month. No biggie.
* Apparently he met Marg Helgenberger from C.S.I. once. We fail to see how this relates to anything.
* Getting into education was “an accident.” Poor guy just wanted to work in a law firm
* UC has no money because the voting population is getting old and wants healthcare. Them’s the breaks.
* He only participates in fundraising events when chancellors ask him to. Otherwise he’s afraid he’ll steal their thunder.

Here’s what we felt was missing:
* The “long answer” to the interviewer’s first question: “Are you pricing education beyond the reach of most students?”
* Any mention of the protests or the future of the UC

Now, maybe there’s a perfectly rational answer for all this. Maybe Yudof was playing Bejeweled while he was trying to answer the interviewer’s questions and was distracted, maybe they called him in the middle of the night while he was asleep and immediately made him answer all these questions, maybe the interviewer really just wanted to hear about Marg Helgenberger.

Whatever the reason, all we have to say is; Yudof, we don’t want to make you the scapegoat for this whole mess. So why do you keep making it so easy?

Image Source: davidhanddotnet under Creative Commons
Questions for Mark Yudof [NY Times]

michael said:
Sep 26, 2009 at 12:23 am

Well, he comes off as a bit of a dick in the interview, but the content of his responses is spot-on. I find him to be completely rational, cogent, and incisive.

Ricardo Alberto Gomez said:
Sep 26, 2009 at 3:25 am

After I read this I lost all hope that Mark Yudof is remotely sane. We pay him 800k a year to be a douche bag? Are you fucking kidding me?

Paul said:
Sep 30, 2009 at 8:56 am

So education isn’t a “hot” issue, and we should just give up? Isn’t it his job to advocate for higher education and convince people that investing in education is a top priority? Just why exactly does UC pay him somewhere between $540,000 and $900,000 a year?

Avo said:
Sep 30, 2009 at 10:10 am

Paul’s comment is spot on. The guy should be fired. There is no hope for UC while he is charge.