wasteland

Well, we don’t mean to depress you, since the UC budget crisis, general economic malaise and midterm season were probably already doing that pretty effectively. But we thought we’d point you in the direction of this article by Paul Harris, US correspondent for the British newspaper “The Observer”, which argues—a little more convincingly than we’re comfortable with—that California may be well on its way to becoming America’s first failed state.

Among the reasons cited include defunding of education programs (o rly?), the foreclosure crisis, unemployment and the massive clusterfuck of a budget problem.

The 21st century Grapes-of-Wrath-esque imagery evoked in the article include pools infested with disease-carrying mosquitoes, makeshift clinics set up in concert venues and sprawling suburbs transformed into colonies of foreclosed homes.

“Much has been made globally of the problems of Ireland and Iceland. Yet California dwarfs both. It is the eighth largest economy in the world, with a population of 37 million. If it was an independent country it would be in the G8. And if it were a company, it would likely be declared bankrupt.”

But, you know, nothing to worry about. Get back to your studying.

Image Source: cultr.sun under Creative Commons
Will California become America’s first failed state? [Guardian]

Deb McCurdy said:

Some parents and students in California decided that a “Grapes of Wrath” music video might be a good way to send Arnold a message . . . dropped a dvd at his office, but haven’t heard back from him yet. Here’s the You Tube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqir1Mh7Pk

Ricardo Alberto Gomez said:

Hmm… the clog seems to be hating on Brits lately.

The article is really interesting though. I wonderr why the Gaurdian is so closely following what’s going on in California though? They covered the walkout better than a lot of American outles…

zhudiya said:

cheap jordans be called by a joint name that Jordan Brand Shoes, which are online sale jordans cheap. Always, the Cheap Jordans divided into Air Jordan series, Jordan Fusion series, Jordan Retro series and so on, they are much cheaper because they come from manufacuring factory directly, lowest pirce comes the lowest cost. Nowadays, online cheap jordans business are getting more and more popular, because online shopping stage will make purchasing more convenient and save much more money, also it is no doubt, will make you clear about the comparable prices easily just by searching, you know, so wonderful, cost no walking and carrying to purchase desirable Jordans Cheap!

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told used to be a enjoyment account it. Glance complicated to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we keep up a correspondence?