After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on Earth.

Terrifying though the giant plastic vortex in the Pacific may be, we’d take that particular symptom of Armageddon over this one any day.

Man, do we wish we were making this up. But the Arctic seas are indeed gradually turning into acid, as a result of (big effing surprise) carbon-dioxide emissions. Which admittedly renders the above video somewhat of a stretch, but we thought it might be nice to lighten the mood a tad before comprehensively maiming every last one of your hopes and dreams.

Research conducted at Svalbard found that many areas around the north pole will probably become corrosive over the course of the coming decade—conditions that promise to “actually dissolve the shells of living shellfish.”

By 2100, according to the study, the entire Arctic Ocean will have turned to acid.

Jean-Pierre Gattuso, harbinger of our imminent doom (and also a professor at France’s Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) calls this discovery “extremely worrying.” We, in turn, would like to call that the understatement of all eternity. Climate change is not on a slippery slope so much as a vertical drop. There’s really no sugar-coating this one, friends: Earth is kind of f*cked. For the love of all things living, please be nice to her while you still can.

Blood Ocean [YouTube]
Arctic seas turn to acid, putting vital food chain at risk [Guardian UK]
Earlier: Plastic Vortex