You may no longer be able to afford enrollment at UC Berkeley, but that shouldn’t stop you from investing in its real estate—especially if it’ll cost you less than a trip on the 51.

What if we told you that the university is currently advertising two on-campus homes for sale at the fabulously low price of exactly one buckaroo? Being the remarkably astute and endearingly cynical college students we know you are, you’d probably immediately speculate on the inevitable fine print of such an outlandish offer.

Congratulations! Higher education has served you well. The duo of houses, located at 2241 and 2243 College Ave, can be generously described as real fixer-uppers, and (arguably) more accurately characterized as pieces of sh*t.

So, whatever, you cough up $1 for a 100-year-old building that we imagine counts asbestos among the very least of its concerns. But wait! That’s not all. Now that you’ve got this behemoth of a beauty on your hands, the UC wants you to move it—pronto.

Where to, you wonder? Hey, that’s not their problem. The school’s sole objective, according to a laconic Craiglist ad, is “conveying one or both of the buildings to an interested buyer for one dollar in exchange for the buyer moving the structures from the site in a timely manner.”

Which sounds, in a nutshell, like Berkeley is recruiting suckers conscientious preservationists to take out their trash. Without, might we add, disturbing a handful of “beautiful mature trees.” Oh, and you have to make a $100,000 deposit—so, you know, they don’t think you’re full of crap.

We suggest saving your money for the bus.

Image Source: Thomas Hawk under Creative Commons
Two Berkeley homes for sale: just $1.00 each [SFGate]

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to provide one thing again and aid others like you aided me.