bearcardoRicardo Gomez (a.k.a Bearcardo) has been something of ubiquitous presence in our lives during this past semester, what with his involvement in the walkout and compulsive commenting on the Daily Cal website and the Clog. So much so that he is a known personality even among the other commenters.
As one guest put it:

I BEAT RICARDO ALBERT GOMEZ IN LEAVING A COMMENT!!!!

So who is this mysterious character? The Clog sat down with him a few weeks ago to find out.

* He is not, in fact, a two-dimensional blue bear with glasses.
* He does have glasses.
* If you guessed that he is the lovely bear in the picture at right, you’d be wrong as well.
* He uses his comments as a means of connecting with organizers from other campuses.
* His least favorite commenter is “Guest,” as he feels anonymous commenting lower the quality of discussion on comments, and allows people to make ridiculous claims without having to stand behind them:

This thing is so transparent. Attacking Jews is just a way to score political points with the mindless haters. Stalin did it, Chavez did it, and now the ASUC is doing it.

We can’t imagine how Ricardo might have gotten that impression.
* He has a “bear-like” personality
* His friends think that the bear he uses as his avatar looks like him
* He likes strawberry cheesecake and pistachio as ice cream flavors
* His favorite ice cream topping is almonds

On a more serious note:
*Ricardo Gomez goes by his real name on the internet to keep himself accountable; “if more people started using their name regularly, then the quality of discussion … would probably be higher.”
*He’s been quoted in a bunch of different articles because he started Berkeley Students Against the Cuts; it’s easier for journalists to find sources if they have Facebook groups or websites.
*He was inspired to be an organizer with the walkout because he didn’t see anyone else doing it. The proposed 32 percent fee increase was the last straw.
*It’s not such a big leap to think university students can start a movement. See: Vietnam Antiwar Movement, Civil Rights Movement.
*When he’s gone, he wants to step back to allow other students to be student leaders/organizers to step up and take hold of the walkout situation.

He wasn’t sure when we spoke to him whether or not he would be participating in Comb Your Hair Like Gavin Newsom Day. Any update Ricardo?

For those interested in hearing the full, mostly-audible interview (conducted by your beloved Cloggers Jill Cowan, Evante Garza-Licudine and Valerie Woolard), you can download it here.

Do you have suggestions for people you’d like to see interviewed by the Clog? Tell us in the comments.

Image Source: Laura-Elizabeth under Creative Commons

Brittany said:

Pick me! Pick me! Part-Cal student, part-Berkeley street fashion blogger!

Guest said:

What you do not know about Ricardo Gomez is that he has the strength of one thousand stallions, the heart of one thousand warriors, and the stamina of one thousand prickly pears. The prophets say he will also liberate England from one thousand Queens.

Guest said:

bearcardo, have my babies..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-euJeR5pkM

Art said:

Bercardo is awesome. If I wasn’t insanely busy and swamped with my classes, I would be out there fighting for the same things. (which is not say that I agree with everything that he says or his tactics)

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and for my part suggest to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

görüntülü sohbet said:

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, as well as the content!

Broncos Jersey said:

Easy to need methods that undoubtedly affair, appreciation again!

beatskobe said:

Actually one solution, that we monster beats studio use personally beats studio ferrari is to make sure that you cheap monster beats use bee pollen capsules.

Lionel Osborne said:

Very interesting points you have mentioned , thankyou for posting . “It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once.” by David Hume.