cupcakeAs the weather gets colder, and the standby treat of Berkeley students (frozen yogurt, of course) becomes less desirable, we are forced to seek out alternate sources of sweetness. And we thought we were onto something.

We enjoyed the red velvet and double vanilla cupcakes from the Cupkates Truck during awkward gaps between classes. The brilliance of the idea was not lost on us. While Berkeley is never at a loss for brilliant baked goods, cupcakes included, these ones came to us. The truck often parked near campus, and were we so gluttonous as to desire two dozen cupcakes or more, we could have them delivered for free. But today, we were thwarted. While checking the truck’s twitter last night, we found this ominous message:

We will not be operating tomorrow according to our normal schedule. The city of Berkeley is trying to suspend our permit. We will be in meetings all day, and back to our office route Wednesday.

City of Berkeley, how could you do this to us? And during this mediocre season of midterms, rain and huge fee increases no less? We needed those cupcakes. They were our only hope.

Now, the Cupkates Truck is far from the only mobile food outfit to be found on the outskirts of campus. There is the taco truck, the hot dogs, the place that sells chocolate-covered strawberries and we’ve even occasionally glimpsed a competing cupcake business.

But alas, for now we’ll need to find somewhere else to fill our cupcake needs. Although Love at First Bite in the Gourmet Ghetto has never disappointed us, it is a bit of a trek, which takes up time we should be spending studying … or something.

We just wanted our double vanilla cupcake, City of Berkeley. Why’d you have to ruin it?

We wouldn’t say no to a marzipan Totoro either.

Image Source: chotda under Creative Commons
Cupcake Trucks Corner Unique Niche in Market [Daily Cal]
CupkatesTruck [Twitter]

Totoro! On a Cupcake | My Cal Student said:

[...] man. This was in a Daily Cal Blog and I don’t know if this beautiful creation came form CupKate’s, a cupcake selling [...]

Super 8 - My Cal Student said:
Jan 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm