Phew. That AirBART trip was kind of a pain in the ass, but we’re just glad to be here at Oakland International Airport on our way home. Home–far, far removed from the pressures of budget crises, and strikes and other university-related bad vibes, where we can eat away our sorrows and rest … Wait, what does that ad on the wall say?

Buh. Boo.

Oh, God damn it.

Image Source: Jill Cowan, via crappy camera phone.

Doye O sivils said:

$ 3,000,000 Carefree Spending by Yudof/Birgeneau: Why does one of the top universities in the world have to spend $3 million of taxpayer money for consultants to do what should be done internally by UCB Chancellor Birgeneau?
Who teaches auditors how to audit? Do UC professors not have the knowledge to perform what they teach?
Having firsthand knowledge of consulting, I know one cardinal rule, “Don’t bite the hand that pays you.”
In a nutshell, we have a high-paid, skilled UCB Chancellor who is unable or unwilling to do the job he is paid to do. Why do we wonder that UC and California are in a financial crisis!
I’m sure taxpayers would not object to the $3 million payout if the money is reimbursed by taking money from the UCB Chancellor’s salary over the next 10 years.
Stop the spending of $3,000,000 on consultants by President Yudof and the UCB Chancellor and do the job internally
Respectfully

Student said:

Top businesses hire consultants. Where is your first hand knowledge of consulting coming from? Yudof and Birgeneau are academics more than operational experts.