fungiIt’s official: the Lawrence Hall of Science has become a cool place for students to hang out. They hosted an Out-of-This-World Halloween Party (that’s what it was called, not our synopsis), they have their weekly Geek Out nights (where you can pay $10 to hang out with fellow geeks and talk about SETI or design your own Mars space station) and this weekend they have their 40th annual Fungus Fair.

What does a person do at a Fungus Fair? The answer appears to be anything and everything you can think to do with a mushroom: finding, growing, viewing, eating, cooking, wearing, dyeing and even treating diseases. And yes, all the mushrooms are legal, we checked for you.

Here’s a description:

Mushroom experts will be on hand to answer all your questions and to identify unknown specimens brought in by visitors—BYOM (Bring Your Own Mushroom). Mycologists (mushroom scientists) will present slide shows and talk about foraging for mushrooms. Find out how different mushrooms can be used for treating diseases, dyeing cloth or paper, and flavoring foods. From lectures to microscopes to dining, there is something for everyone at the Fungus Fair.

Really, what could be more fun than fungi?

Saturday–Sunday Dec. 5–6, 10:00 a. m. – 5:00 p. m.

Image Source: _val_ under Creative Commons
Fungus Fair at the Lawrence Hall of Science [Lawrence Hall of Science]

ShroomCloud said:

Yes finally LBL gets its credit as the major party hub that it is. I’ve been partying at LBL for years. We do it big up there. Its usually a nerdy snausage fest but its all good! Maybe you should show up…or just keep speculating on it with ur witty insight and interesting anticdotes. Keep on writing! Dig ur style!

ShroomCloud said:

Yes! LBL parties rock. If you like a ton of dudes who know too much about the wrong thing to get them laid! Keep writing. Ur style is awesome. Ur anticdotes are witty and ur opinion is generally accurate with the demographic. I bet ur really cute in person too. Will you meet me at the fungus fest? Ill buy the ticketts and the portabellos!

sue said:

The Fungus Fair is the best place in town, if you have never been, you should go. I have been to the Geek Outs and I had a blast. Note: This is at the Lawrence Hall of Science, not LBL.