Late last night, a group of people marched on Bobby B’s University House and ended up scattering garbage, destroying lighting and overturning planters. Eight people ended up being arrested by UCPD after the Birg called the fuzz at 11:14 p.m., and two of those arrested were UC Berkeley students. Wait, just two? According to UCPD, the names and ages of the arrested are as follows (in approximate ascending order of age for your convenience):

*Julia Litmancleper, 20
*Angela Miller, 20 (one of the UCB students)
*Zachary Bowin, 21 (the other UCB student)
*Laura Thatcher, 21
*John Friesen, 25 (apparently arrested at Wheeler Hall earlier in the day)
*James Carwil, 34
*David Morse, 41
*Donnell Allen, 41

Maybe beside the fact that only two have been identified as Berkeley students is the question of the ages of those involved … what brought these particular individuals together?

Whatever it was, the governor had a few harsh words on the matter: “California will not tolerate any type of terrorism against any leaders including educators. The attack on Chancellor Birgeneau’s home is a criminal act and those who participated will be prosecuted under the fullest extent of the law. Debate is the foundation of democracy and I encourage protestors to find peaceful and productive ways to express their opinions.”

If you’re curious about how far the extent of the law goes, police said the charges were “rioting, threatening an education official, attempted burglary, attempted arson of an occupied building, felony vandalism and assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer.” The assault with a deadly weapon, we presume, came from throwing lit torches at police as they arrived at the mansion.

If you noticed the attack came curiously close to some other protesty-type events, you’re not alone. Bearcardo (whom the Clog interviewed a couple months ago) was quoted as saying “As far as I understand it, six out of the eight people arrested weren’t students. … These types of violent interactions cause students on our campus to be less engaged with what’s going on.”

And the two UCB students who were arrested? They’ll need to meet with UC Berkeley Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Harry Le Grande before they can get back on campus. Which means before they can take their finals.

Image Source: Anna Hiatt, Daily Cal Staff Photographer
Eight Arrested After Attack on Chancellor’s House [Daily Cal]
Protestors attack Berkeley chancellor’s home [NewsCenter]

Sampler: Hikers in Iran, Real Estate Investing, Women in the CHP - Bay Area Blog - NYTimes.com said:

[...] the on-campus home of Robert Birgeneau, the chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley. Two of the eight people arrested are students, police [...]