2497825519_77e3310b46John Yoo is not welcome in Berkeley anymore, as you may have noticed from the countless signs, protests, demonstrations, and just plain yelling that erupted around the city this past year.

And in a recent interview with the New York Times Magazine, the former Berkeley law professor (and author of the “torture memos”) sought to convince all Berkeleyans that the feeling is mutual.

Here are just a few choice highlights from the interview:

About Berkeley: “There are probably more Communists in Berkeley than any other town in America, but I think of them more as lovers of Birkenstocks than Marx.”

About the Constitution: “The idea is that the president’s power grows and changes based on circumstances, and that’s what the framers of the Constitution wanted. They wanted it to exist so the president could react to crises immediately.”

About UC Berkeley specifically, and why he chose it: “It was the best school that I was able to get a job at. It’s not easy for a conservative to get a job in the academy in any field.”

We’ll admit, this raises our hackles a little bit. OK, maybe even a lot. Especially since Yoo appeared to grant the interview because he is promoting his new book about, according to the interviewer, “audacious power grabs by American presidents.”

Some say “audacious,” others say “illegal.” But we guess in Yoo’s world, this falls under the same category as “po-tay-to, po-tah-to.”

Image source: joebeone under Creative Commons
Questions for John Yoo–Power of Attorney [The New York Times Magazine]

uggyaga said:

“58% Favor Waterboarding of Plane Terrorist To Get Information”
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Email a Friend Email to a Friend ShareThis

Bwahahahahahah! Yooo is right, these people at Berkeley advocate Obummer’s using drone attacks to kill little children and women as NYTimes reported. They are silent. This means they are brain dead. They protest not Obummer’s slaughter of innocent children. They are on drugs.

Fifty-eight percent (58%) of U.S. voters say waterboarding and other aggressive interrogation techniques should be used to gain information from the terrorist who attempted to bomb an airliner on Christmas Day.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/december_2009/58_favor_waterboarding_of_plane_
terrorist_to_get_information

Quote of the Day :: The [X]press Blog said:
Jan 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

[...] not often the find myself agreeing with a neocon, but this quote by John Yoo is spot on: “There are probably more Communists in Berkeley than any other town in [...]

arboreus said:
Feb 7, 2010 at 10:48 am

John Yoo doesn’t matter. Nor will his imminent demise.

Wow! This could be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Great. I am also a specialist in this topic therefore I can understand your effort.