No exaggeration—it really has been nearly half a year since the trio of Berkeley grads’ arrest after crossing illegally over the Iranian-Kurdish border. Since that fateful day in July, the resultant bandwagon colored in varying shades of indignant outrage has accumulated quite a following, from university officials to the U.S. government to a number of miscellaneous celebs.

Now, pending a Council vote tomorrow, the City of Berkeley seeks to add itself to those ranks by means of a letter addressed to the Iranian government advocating for the hikers’ release. The timbre of said letter, authored by council member Kriss Worthington, is unique in a number of respects—particularly in its emphasis on Berkeley’s historically sympathetic attitude toward the Middle East as lending especial credence toward its collective two cents.

Whether Iran will be moved by a California city’s culturally relativistic tenets remains to be seen. In the meantime, the hikers’ purported trial continues to, well, not happen; and now their family members are speaking out via a petition comprised of YouTube videos asking Iran to set the threesome free. If you’re feeling energized by increasing bitterness at the injustice of it all, solidarity is just a few clicks away.

Free the hikers – submit your video response now [YouTube]
Berkeley to Vote on Letter to Iran on 3 Hikers’ Behalf [NYT Blog]
Iran Hikers’ Siblings Launch YouTube Petition [NBC Bay Area]

hass said:
Jan 26, 2010 at 7:57 am

Hmm….imagine if three Iranian “hikers” had “accidently strayed” across our borders…Guantanamo Special!

Vick said:
Jan 27, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Ignorantia juris non excusat.. (ignorance of the law does not excuse)

the Iranian Government is holding these 3 to teach America a lesson.. The lesson being “American can not do what ever they want in there country” if there is someone to blame it would have to be the american government sadly =(

God's Gift to the World said:
Jan 28, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I think it’s obvious that these three people thought they could just walk over the border enough to say they did it and not get caught and then come back and boast about it. And now, because of their arrogance, the U.S. is in an international incident. And the worst of it is, they’re from UC Berkeley. So they’ve not only screwed up their country, they’ve embarrassed their school. Maybe five years in prison?

jane said:

Ok, wow…People just have no faith in AMERICA these days….These are OUR people, and no matter right or wrong, you should stand by them. People make mistakes all the time…and people do stupid things all the time…you don’t know what/who/or when anything happened over there…America is like GOD,…its our land, our animals our people, we need to love our people, what if it were you..no seriously, what if you had the money/time to travel and were able to do these things….and you were captured/caught would you not want America to be there for you and bail you out…just like your friends/famiy would bail you out of jail if you ended up in there..you guys have good points, but lets just hope for the safe being for them.