It's a raccoon. Stealing an ostrich egg. Not that No. 4 Berkeley should exactly be brimming with pride to be anywhere on this list of the “15 Worst College Crime Areas.” But, hey, at least we’re not UC Santa Barbara which, somewhat surprisingly, managed to earn that big numero uno.

The report, which was released by Neighborhoodscout.com and personal finance blog WalletPop, doesn’t include violent crime, mind you. Only “property crime.” The areas are ranked by their  number of property crimes (thefts, basically) per 1,000 residents.

Furthermore, it looks like Northside dwellers can breathe a little easier than Southside folk. The report includes specific neighborhoods that are adjacent to college campuses–rather than whole cities–and it’s the area around Haste Street and College Avenue that’s reppin’ the Berk-town.

Anyway, if all of this is making you depressed/fearful for your possessions, take solace in the fact that Isla Vista is listed as having a whopping 1,019 property crimes per 1,000 residents, compared to Berkley’s relatively measly-ass 502. “That doesn’t get me my bike back, ” you say? Yeah, we feel you. It doesn’t get our apartment un-broken into, either. Eff this economy, dude …

Image Source: Andy Ciordia under Creative Commons
15 Worst College Crime Areas [WalletPop], via UCBLJ