3224547373_b626450435

Scott Fujita, linebacker for the Saints, was once a Cal Bear. How do we know? Well, because it’s widely reported, natch, but mostly because he acts like a Bear.

By now you’ve probably heard about the controversial commericals (or “controvercials”) that were set to play during the Super Bowl. One was anti-abortion, the other an ad for a gay dating site. (For the record, they’re showing the anti-abortion ad, but the gay dating ad was pulled. Go figure.) Everyone’s been talking, and everyone has an opinion about the ads.

Unsurprisingly, so does Fujita. He supports abortion rights and gay rights, and isn’t afraid to say so. “It’s just me standing up for equal rights,” Fujita said. “It’s not that courageous to have an opinion if you think it’s the right thing and you believe it wholeheartedly.”

We like to think that’s the Berkeley in him talking. He even acknowledges it himself:

“There is a certain stigma that comes with being from Berkeley… And I’m proud of that stigma.”

Color us impressed. But this is almost too much to take–our little Bear hearts are fit to burst with blue and yellow pride. Guess we’ll have to tune in to this Superbowl thing after all. One of our own is playing.

Image source: CarbonNYC under Creative Commons
The Saints Linebacker Who Speaks His Mind [New York Times]

michael said:
Feb 4, 2010 at 10:34 am

Personally I do not think that either ad was right for a super-bowl audience. The man crunch ad was cheap and over the top. It was done to render free advertisements from all the outraged progressives who reacted to quickly. Great idea by the way.The other an abortion ad. What is the percentage of men to women viewers for the super bowl. What age groups are the women in? Most women watching the superbowl are married, older, or watching because of their significant other. Not exactly the profile of someone seeking an abortion. The Friends of the family could find a better target audience, but at least this will give men a break to get refreshment.

Oswaldo Staback said:

Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your Broncos Peyton Manning Authentic Jersey stuff previous to and you’re just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is http://www.officialnflbroncosshop.com/peyton-manning-jerseys-c-21 really a terrific web site.

Marya Echeverria said:
Jun 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea