eggers

Let’s face it, as the semester progresses you will inevitably find less and less time to take advantage of the plethora of free events Berkeley has to offer (and eventually, classes where they don’t take attendance) so while you and the semester are fresh by all means take advantage, especially considering what they’ve done to our tuition:

“Google Book Search and the Future of Academic Publishing”
We can only assume this has something to do with a certain Google Books and their pending settlement that would lead them one step closer to ruling the world. The seminar will focus on “how web technologies are changing humanities research, teaching, and collaboration.” Refreshments will be served.
Monday, Feb. 8
12:00 p. m. Geballe Room, 220 Stephens Hall

“James Castle: A Retrospective”
A new exhibit at BAM featuring the work of a deaf artist who “never learned to read, write, speak, sign, or lip-read.” Seriously, all this guy did was make art. Talk about dedication.
Feb. 3 – April 25
Berkeley Art Museum

Story Hour in the Library Featuring Dave Eggers
Eggers, the satirical writer / editor / publisher / philanthropist / sports writer, has a long history with the bay. He used to write a comic strip for SF Weekly, taught at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and started a successful publishing house in San Francisco. This guy’s a super literary badass. Don’t miss out.
Feb. 11
Morrison Library, 5 – 6 p. m.

Lunch Poems
Forget the Asian Ghetto, feed your soul with an hour of story time with a (usually somewhat) famous poet. Snuggle up on a comfy couch in Morrison every first Thursday of the month … and try not to fall asleep.

Noon Concert Series
Every Wednesday Hertz Concert Hall offers students, faculty and people with ears to a very professional hour of free live music. It may not sound that exciting, but if we’re not mistaken, tickets for these kind of things usually go for big money. Check it out.

Image Source: kittell under Creative Commons
The Townsend Center for Humanities [Schedule]
Story Hour [Site]
Lunch Poems [Site]
Department of Music [Events]