325853852_61fdbdbffa

Happy belated President’s Day, everyone! We didn’t manage to get your faces carved onto Mount Rushmore, so you’ll have to settle for the next best thing: a video message from UC president Mark Yudof.

As far as YouTube videos go, it’s pretty generic. It’s disappointingly SFW, with no fly-killing, swearing, or finger-biting (here’s looking at you, Charlie).

In the video, Yudof talks about the UC for CA “grassroots movement” which since November has added 130,000 members to its advocacy group. More information can be found at www.ucforca.org (not to be confused with ucca.org, which is the Ukranian Congress Committee’s website–but don’t worry, it’s a common mistake). He also tosses out other activist-friendly words like “letter-writing,” “student organizing,” and “frequent trips to Sacramento.”

More activities are planned too. On March 1st there will be a big rally at the state Capitol. The big kahuna is April 27, though, when UCs, CSUs, and community colleges will “visit Sacramento to speak with a unified voice” about the effed up budget. (Interestingly, Yudof seems to suggest in the video that he was behind a lot of the activism, although we didn’t see him during the walkout, did we?)

It’s all quite bland, really. But maybe this means that this movement has now gotten mainstream enough to effect some real change. Only time will tell. Stay tuned, campers.

Image source: blumpy under Creative Commons
President Yudof reports on budget advocacy progress [YouTube]

Transparency said:
Jul 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm

All said and done UC President Yudof Approves Millions of $ To Do UCB Chancellor Birgeneau & his Cal Vice Chancellor’s jobs!
The UCB budget gap has grown to $150 million, and still the Chancellor is spending money that isn’t there on expensive ($3,000,000) outside consultants. His reasons range from the need for impartiality to requiring the “innovative thinking, expertise, and new knowledge” the consultants would bring.

Does this mean that the faculty and management of a world-class research and teaching institution lack the knowledge, integrity, impartiality, innovation, and professionalism to come up with solutions? Have they been fudging their research for years? The consultants will glean their recommendations from interviewing faculty and the UCB management that hired them; yet solutions could be found internally if the Chancellor were doing the job HE was hired to do. Consultant fees would be far better spent on meeting the needs of students.

There can be only one conclusion as to why creative solutions have not been forthcoming from the professionals within UCB: Chancellor Birgeneau has lost credibility and the trust of the faculty as well as of the Academic Senate leadership that represents them. Even if the faculty agrees with the consultants’ recommendations – disagreeing might put their jobs in jeopardy – the underlying problem of lost credibility and trust will remain.
Contact your Sacramento representatives and TV, Radio and newspapers – tell them

how to make feather earrings said:

Thank you an incredible put up, can read one’s others posts. thank you your notions with this, I soon became a lttle bit thump by this post. Many thanks again! You make a great moment. Portrays natures best by the excellent report here. I think if more people consideration for it like this, they’d have got a better moment in time receive the hold ofing the difficulty.

Well I sincerely enjoyed reading it. This tip offered by you is very helpful for correct planning.