4165476083_d08617ca3d

Do y’all even remember Proposition 209? Some of you must have been such small fries when it was voted into effect in 1996. For a little refresher on your California history, said prop. is responsible for the statewide ban on affirmative action—and it’s got at least one group of people pretty riled up.

Enter a federal lawsuit. Backed up by (deep breath now) the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigrant Rights and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary—less stressfully referred to as BAMN—a number of California students filed said suit on Tuesday (not against the state, but rather against UC) demanding affirmative action’s restoration.

This is by no means the first attempt to overturn Prop. 209, but the civil rights activists involved seem confident of their chances in this, their challenge to what they call the University of California’s “racial caste system”—a state of unequal representation that they compare to that of “flagship universities in the Deep South states.”

The suit’s specific defendants? UC Prez Mark Yudof, the UC Board of Regents and good ol’ Gov. Schwarzenegger. They must be thrilled to pieces.

Image Source: PaDumBumPsh under Creative Commons
Lawsuit Seeks to Restore Affirmative Action At UC [Examiner]

Some clearly racist white guy said:
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Affirmative action is a policy that was clearly needed in the wake of America’s Civil Rights movement. Today, it’s antiquated and backwards. Give it up, rabble rousers.

DH said:
Feb 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I, too, remember when racism ended shortly after the Civil Rights Movement. I’m so tired of these nosy nellies trying to implement their backwards policies in the way of my privilege! I just want my good old fashioned entitlement back. You said it, guy with ironic but still overtly whiny name!

emircik said:

SMACKDOWN

Will Urich said:

Racism ended? Really?! guess I missed the memo man. Shit racism is so intrinsic to the united states and to the world as a whole that to say that its gone is about as ridiculous as saying Glen Beck is educated. If anything affirmative action should come back into play by the very virtue of it shaking up the FUCKED up power structure in place. Wake up and smell the burning flesh of civilization man and realize you’re just adding fuel to the fire.

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to ?return the favor?.I am attempting to find things to