3506611593_5e5cb21bcfImagine, if you will, a beautiful day at SeaWorld in Orlando, FL. Gently roasting to a delicate golden hue in the … um, February sun, you meander over to the killer whale tank for a fun-filled noontime show. The performance is great, the whales definitely whales, noms ridiculously overpriced. You stretch, dislodge your wedgie and get ready to hit the seals when, in the middle of his post-show belly rub, the star of the show clamps his jaws around the trainer, pulls her into the tank and thrashes her about until she’s dead.

Such was the unexpected turn of events in Orlando this very afternoon—and by unexpected we mean, you know, completely devastating and awful and life-scarring for everyone involved. The culprit? 12,000-pound Tilikum, a killer whale that has in fact been associated with two previous human fatalities. His victim this time around? Dawn Brancheau, 40 years old and one of the best, most experienced trainers at the park.

The collateral? Countless kids who you know for a fact will never again go near a swimming pool.

Image Source: milan.boers under Creative Commons
Whale kills trainer as horrified spectators watch [Washington Post]
Earlier: Robot Drum Circle Invented

Tom said:

I think its probably a good thing for kids a avoid a swimming pool filled with KILLER WHALES!

Garment Rivets said:

Thans for the nice post.really appreciate YOU — thanks a lot!

sarah said:
Aug 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Killer whales deserve to be in the WILD where they BELONG. Those pools they are kept in are the size of a BATHTUB to them. She deserved to loose her life for keeping poor old tilikum in a amusment park. I am not happy with those people who put the killer whales in there.