art rosenfeld

Beavis once agitatedly stammered, “Why does everyone wanna see my unit?”

In the case of Arthur Rosenfeld, “godfather or energy efficiency,” his unit may come to represent electricity savings of three billion kilowatts per year. Following in the footsteps of past unit-awarded Cal Faculty science people such as Nikola Tesla and Marie and Pierre Curie, the Rosenfeld promises to be the most distinctly Jewtastic unit.

Rosenfeld has researched at UC Berkeley since the 1950s, when he studied particle physics. In 1975, he founded the Center for Building Science at Berkeley Lab. He is already known for the “Rosenfeld effect,” which has kept California’s per-capita energy usage uniquely flat over the years, and “Rosenfeld’s Law,” which pertains to the rate at which the ratio of energy input to economic output has changed over the years.

Today, 54 of his colleagues representing 26 institutions published an article in Environmental Research Letters advocating for the adoption of his unit.

Still, what with an effect and a law already under his belt, at Art’s age who needs a unit? Those “NL” parking spots—that’s where the glory lies.

Editor’s Note: This post has been edited to correct a mistaken assertion that Nikola Tesla and Marie and Pierre Curie were at one point faculty at UC Berkeley.

Image Source: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory under Creative Commons
Welcome the Rosenfeld [Berkeleyside]
The Rosenfeld” Named After California’s Godfather of Energy Efficiency [Berkeley Lab]

Berkeley Berkeley said:

Why throw in his religion with the “Jewtastic” comment? It just brings in politics.

Dr Julian Borrill said:

Neither of the Curies nor Tesla were Cal faculty. Not even close. Not even a little bit. Just wrong.

Alex Bigman said:

Dr Julian Borrill,

You are absolutely right. The error has been corrected.