AHHHHHHHHHHH

“Hey Clog, you haven’t written about frogs in a while. Anything going on with them?” Glad you asked. In fact there is—on NPR’s “All Things Considered,” host Guy Raz interviewed UC Berkeley biology prof Tyrone Hayes about the effects of pesticide Atrazine on frogs, namely, gend’rification.

“Wait, are you telling me that Professor Hayes conducted a study that showed 10 percent of frogs exposed to Atrazine turned into females and the other 90 percent was chemically castrated?” Indeed, though how you managed to guess that from the above paragraph is beyond us.

“I suppose it logically follows that the EPA green-lit the pesticide a few years ago but is now revisiting that call with a few scientific panels, and the chief scientist of the company that makes Atrazine thinks Hayes’ study is bollocks.” Quite so, reader, quite so. In fact, at this point you’ve probably also guessed, freakishly, that Europe banned Atrazine a while ago with no catastrophic consequences for the economy.

We only hope Kermit is reading this post from wherever it is he lives.

Image Source: Looking Glass under Creative Commons
Researcher: Pesticide ‘Castrates’ Male Frogs [NPR]



Comments:
Luxury Homes said:
Mar 22, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Fantastic blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any suggestions? Many thanks!