3638718239_0848dd703f

We all should know more about the Iranian protests of 2009. The difficulty is getting Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his ilk to release any kind of real information. Thankfully, though with Twitter and the resourceful citizens of Tehran, we get some idea of what went on–and now, at the Pacific Film Archive, you can see it for yourself.

Tonight (March 16) at 7 they are showing the documentary “Tehran Without Permission” as part of the ongoing Asian-American Film Festival. The movie was made by director Sepideh Farsi and filmed entirely on her camera phone. In other words, “armed only with a Nokia camera phone and her own daring,” Farsi walked the streets of Tehran looking for reactions to the chaos.

And it sounds like she got some good ones. She interviewed people from many different walks of life, including “women at the beauty salon, men in cafes, taxi drivers, hip-hop artists, street performers, and restless youth.” The result is an 83 minute film you can watch (and remind yourself how lucky you are to be safe in Berkeley watching the chaos from far away).

General admission is $12, but students get in for $10. If you balk at the price, think of it this way: we call ourselves restless youth, but we are allowed to walk around filming our protests without “multiple government restrictions on filming.” So the least we can do is pony up $10 to support the brave woman who made her movie without the use of our liberties.

After all, she’s armed with her camera phone, and she’s clearly not afraid to shoot.

Image source: Hamed Saber under Creative Commons
Tehran Without Permission [UC Berkeley Events Calendar]