1951474978_a29c0d141e

As much fun we have with all the downer lit in Berkeley classes, (cough, Dostoevsky, cough) it’s refreshing to know that once in a while, someone in Berkeley sees the glass as half full. And this time, the optimist won more than just happiness–she earned herself an award.

Christine Carter, executive director of UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center, just won the Council on Contemporary Families’ 2010 Award for Online Coverage of Family Issues for her blog on how to raise happy children. (Try saying that five times fast.)

The blog, called Half-Full: Science for Raising Happy Kids (part of “Greater Good” magazine), is pretty damn awesome. We’re bloggers, so we tend to look at anything happy with a cynical eye (seriously–sometimes we even glare at puppies) but even we have to admit that this website is chock full of interesting tidbits.

For instance, did you know that people really do make their own luck? Studies show that people who are socially magnetic, friendlier to strangers, and relaxed are more likely to be lucky than other (presumably boring, rude, and stressed) people. In other words, stop searching for that four-leafed clover and crack a smile, for God’s sake.

The site was applauded for its “range of issues, the quality of the writing, and the way the blog resonates with contemporary families.” So way to go, Christine Carter. Berkeley is lucky to have you.

Image source: woodleywonderworks under Creative Commons
Blog on raising happy kids wins national award [UC Berkeley News]

Great site. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you on your effort!