maozFor those of you unfamiliar with the curse of Telegraph Avenue and Channing Way, there appears to be a patch of inarable land, so-to-speak, where no business can successfully sprout. Last year we saw some …  unique establishments test out the waters of this business dead zone.

Maoz–a vegetarian Mediterranean restaurant–is the latest brave soul to move in, hoping to break the streak of business busts. At least their menu selection (falafel sandwiches, Belgian fries, eggplant, Babaganoush) looks a little more promising than cereal sandwiches and gourmet cream puffs …

With locations throughout the US, continental Europe and the UK, Moaz is basically the Chipotle of falafel: fresh ingredients, made to order. Their “Meal Deals” (sandwich, fries, beverage) run a bit on the pricey side ($8.00+), but they do have a complimentary salad bar. And judging by our sample on our way home, their falafel is worth every penny.

More importantly, the place is hip and chic: think Pink Berry meets Starbucks. And honestly, Berkeley could use another vegetarian restaurant, there’s certainly a market for it here. Healthy fast food? If Smart Alec’s is any indication, this place might just break the Channing curse.

Maoz [Website]