We’re no rhetoric majors, but we have a sneaking suspicion that there’s some, like, really subtle rhetoric going on in Student Action senate candidate Camille Gipson’s campaign video:

OK, we know some of the more advanced rhetorical strategies might have flown right over the average plebeian’s head, but that’s what the Clog is here for. So just bear with us as we try to unpack a few of the video’s nuances. Ahem …

What we think Student Action may be trying to say is that puppies are students, too, and that Student Action understands their current plight. While other parties may claim that puppies don’t deserve the kind of funding they get for their puppy activities because puppies often are not seen as academically-minded as other students, Student Action has got puppies’ backs.

At the same time, Student Action has picked up on puppies’ general “campus celebrity” appeal, and by featuring a puppy prominently in their video, they are hoping to capitalize on this appeal. The video achieves this by assuming that impressionable students, brimming with Cal spirit, will be starstruck and convinced that they can be more like the cool, good-looking puppy that they see before them if only they vote Student Action, come April 6-8.

The use of student athletes video is obviously just gratuitous pandering to the internet’s love of all things cute and cuddly.

Student Action 2010 Camille Gipson #130 [YouTube], via Student Action party chair Meghana Dhar
Earlier: Vote CalSERVE, Vote Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Ashley said:

As a woman, I feel completely disrespected. She doesn’t even speak?! What kind of message is SA sending??

Jennifer said:

WORST campaign video ever, but I’m guessing the reason she didn’t speak isn’t because she’s a woman… probably because she has no platform.

mao zingdong said:

She has two platforms. On the heels of her shoes.