ok, different Academy … but you get the idea.

Unfamiliar with that particular acronym? O ye of little culture. ‘Tis none other than the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, to which exactly nine Berkeley professors were recently elected. Yeeeeahh boy.

Nearly as old as the nation we call home, the Academy’s official mish is to “cultivate every art and science which may tend to advance the interest, honour, dignity, and happiness of a free, independent, and virtuous people.” Kinda broad, but we dig it. And of the 4,000 American Fellows and 600 Foreign Honorary Members comprising the AAAS, 234 can currently be found at UC Berkeley.

The most recent nine inductees (of a total 229 that were announced this past Monday) are as follows:

- Maciej Rafal Zworski, mathematics prof.

- Richard A. Muller, physics prof. and senior scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab

- Geoffrey W. Marcy, astronomy prof.

- David Gil Drubin, molecular and cell biology prof.

- Richard H. Harland, “C.H. Li Distinguished Professor of Genetics, Genomics and Development in the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology” … dear god that’s a mouthful.

- Emmanuel Saez, economics prof.

- Ruth Berins Collier, political science prof.

- Neil Fligstein, Class of 1939 Chancellor’s Professor of Sociology

- Carla Hesse, Peder Sather Professor of European History and Dean of Social Sciences in the College of Letters & Science

Next time you encounter any of these fine Fellows, please go out of your way to tell them that they rock.

Image Source: atrphoto under Creative Commons
Nine UC Berkeley faculty members elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences [UC Berkeley News]