Have you been keeping up with the latest in California budget politics? Because if you haven’t, you might find yourself in for a treat—instead of relentlessly cutting from the depleted pot of gold that is higher ed, Schwarzenegger actually found some things in the state’s college/university system worth keeping.

Like competitive Cal Grants. Back during the governor’s January proposal, he wanted to give the UC about $370 million—but get rid of competitive Cal Grants. Which are kind of helpful for people who don’t feel like being heavily in debt half their life.

Of course, the revision is already drawing fire. State Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) said the revision is a “non-starter” due to some $12.4 billion or so in cuts. “But what cuts?” you cautiously ask.

Oh, the May revise might call for the complete elimination of CalWORKS, the state’s welfare-to-work program. From their site: “The CalWORKs program provides temporary financial assistance and employment focused services to families with minor children who have income and property below State maximum limits for their family size. Most able-bodied aided parents are also required to participate in the CalWORKs GAIN employment services program.”

Hmmm.

Image Sources: Magnera and xrrr under Creative Commons, modified by Evante Garza-Licudine
UC System, Cal Grants Escape Cuts in Governor’s Budget [Daily Cal]
E-budget

Ricardo Gomez said:
May 20, 2010 at 9:45 am

I think the governor is swindling the students here.

By giving higher ed, relative to other public programs, an extreme advantage in the budget, he forces the Democrats to revise the budget to protect the programs that serve the neediest Californians. Restoring welfare to work and in-home care is just the right thing to do. When students protest, he can just say that the Democrats cut higher ed.

The real solution here is not political grandstanding, it’s NEW revenue for the state so that we don’t have to choose between higher ed and in-home services for dialysis patients.

Ebony Fallone said:

I am jealous. I cannot get this numerous folks to remark on my blog site. What’s your key? Perhaps some beneficial Guidelines would support me out. Please examine out my internet site at: http://www.whazzub.com

xrumer phpnuke mod said:

Seriously quite great contribution, I actually depend on up-dates of your stuff.