Never fear! I'll save you!

In case you missed it, a few weeks back some mischievous crafters decided to knit a cover for the letter “T” on a sculpture near the Berkeley-Oakland border that reads “Here There.”

Apparently, some offence was taken to the fact the artwork designates Berkeley as “Here” and Oakland as “There,” and a quote by Gertrude Stein about Oakland, in which she said “There is no there there.” They felt this relegated Oakland to an inferior status.

So, in a shocking act of civil disobedience, the knitting scoundrels decided to cover the “T” so that the it reads “Here Here.” The mission was carried out in the dead of night, and the knitters were dressed in black. Mind you, it still looks to us like “Here There,” with the “T” covered in colorful yarn with a sign on it that says “Knitta please,” but it’s the message that counts.

But the City of Berkeley Civic Arts Coordinator was not so amused by this, so she, a one Mary Ann Merker, visited a knitting studio nearby to deliver the ominious message that the alteration to the “whimsical and literary welcome to those entering Berkeley” was illegal and should be taken down. The knitters responded by throwing a “T” party protest around the sculpture, drinking tea, wearing masks and referring to their handiwork as a “T” cozy.

No word yet on what will happen to these hooligans, or the “T.”

Note: Edited to include the end of Stein’s quote

Image Source: Stefan Tell under Creative Commons
Stealth Knitters hold “T” party protest [Berkeleyside]

emu360v1.4.rar said:

Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great post.

Izaak Dąbrowski said:

big feather earrings said:

Thanks for an unbelievable put up, would examine your others topics. i appreciate your ideas on this, I really felt a lttle bit strike by this text. Many thanks again! You make a great time. Portrays natures best by the excellent data here. I feel that in case a greater number considered it like that, they’d have a better moment in time get the grasp ofing the matter.