… Hopefully. So, remember that “experimentTiffany Shlain was supposed to be doing in conjunction with the keynote address she gave at general commencement about a month ago? Well, here are the results:

The good news is that Shlain forewent cheesy inspirational background music. It was an effective choice. The bad news is that all of these people are going to have their hopes dashed against the cruel, rocky cliffs of reality, like so many crippled sea lions in a storm-swept sea … filled with oil.

You couldn’t include one person who was all, “My hope for the future is that I’ll be working nine-to-five in a cubicle, because then, at least, I won’t be living in a box and bothering people with my pleas for spare change,” Tiffany Shlain? Really? Not one?! *Self slap!*

Whoa, sorry about that. We kind of let our senior year anxiety get the better of us, there. We feel a little better now. You can read Shlain’s account of preparing her speech and watch the speech itself on the Huffington Post. Thoughts, anyone who was there?

UC Berkeley Graduates’ Thoughts on the Future [YouTube]
Tiffany Shlain: Writing My UC-Berkeley Commencement Speech — What to Say? [HuffPo]

elena said:
Feb 16, 2011 at 10:25 am

Tiffany Shlain could not possibly understand the depressing cubicle work compromise that most people have to make to support themselves. She is the very well connected daughter of Bernard Shlain, so it would not occur to her to address the heartbreaking limitations the class imposes on the most idealistic, and motivated students post graduation.

What is most disheartening about this piece (that seems to be inline with a number of high school graduation projects) is that it proves “the more things change, the more things stay the same”; a mediocre project from a well connected woman with a limited scope will get attention and supported over projects that may have more merit, but are made by people who lack social support.

Although I admire Tiffany’s moxie, and envy her social pedigree and training, her non-stop self promotion has hit such obnoxious and grating heights that I cannot fathom why she continues to garner support, and no one seems to be criticizing the nauseating narcissism that seems to shape her work.