folsomstreetfair

The annual Folsom Street Fair lures closeted leather fetishists out of hiding.

A (relatively) new weekly special on what to do (over the weekend! for free!) when you have no clue what to do.

Friday

Band of Horses is playing the Greek tonight! Not free, you say? That’s what friends in Stern or Foothill are for. Camp out in their rooms, or climb onto the roof. (Warning: the Clog will not be held liable for any injuries or deaths that may result, also a vigilant security/R.A. team does perform regular rooftop checks, so a better idea may be just to loiter in the general vicinity or wear all black and plaster yourself against the roof! Ha! That’ll show them!) Also, Superb is hosting Berkeley’s annual Campus Moviefest Finale in Wheeler: they supplied the equipment, students provided the creative genius, and the event will showcase the best of these homegrown short films (okay, so this one’s not free, but it slipped in anyway; it’s $3 with a Cal ID).

Saturday

Speaking of homegrown, the newest farmers’ market in the area, the Beehive Market in West Berkeley, will play host not only to hip locavores and delicious food stands but also to local indie/folk musician David Berkeley. (Is that his real name? He or his parents must really be in love with this town.) Also, Vampire Weekend is playing the Greek tonight (see above for how to catch the show for free).

Other green things to do besides Beehive Market include the Green Grand Opening of the Public Health District in SF’s Presidio. If that sounds dull, the real, ahem, alternate — we meant to say alternate — reason it’ll be worth a visit is that everyone who’s anyone in the local food cart scene will be there. There’s also the Going 4 Green! Festival in Oakland, all about leading a sustainable lifestyle.

In Golden Gate Park, Tour de Fat returns with its regular itinerary of a bike parade, fire-hoop-jumping bicyclists, circus/cabaret-style live bands like Mucca Pazza, and beer. (Do we get fat from the beer, then attempt to bike it off? Is that the point?) Unrelatedly, Dolores Park will also play witness to beer and pot-bellied, middle-aged men but in gloriously large cinematic form as Film Night in the Park is showing The Big Lebowski.

Sunday

Cal Perfs’ Free For All is all day today, featuring world-class musical performers at the ridiculous price of free, as is the Rockridge Out and About festival, with live music, a chef stage, and food vendors. Callow, a local orchestral indie folk band, will be performing at Berkeley’s Rasputin, while Alice’s Now & Zen Fest 2010, with Sara Bareilles, Plain White T’s, Natasha Bedingfield, Five for Fighting, and Ryan Star, is taking over Sharon Meadow in Golden Gate Park.

Finally, the annual Folsom Street Fair, celebrating leather fetishism (and BDSM), is also this Sunday, and we’re mentioning it not because we think it’s healthy for college-age kids to go (then again, kids nowadays…) but because, well, we think everyone ought to know how amazing the Bay Area is when people are open-minded and insane enough to have a festival dedicated to leather and BDSM and have 400,000 people show up for it.

Wait, on second thought, we are slightly perturbed. Who are these people?

Image source: helenadagmar via Creative Commons

Glenna Caplin said:

I’m jealous. I can’t get this numerous men and women to comment on my weblog. What’s your solution? Maybe some beneficial Tips would support me out. Remember to examine out my site at: http://www.whazzub.com

latestelggmod said:

I like the valuable details you provide within your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check once again here frequently. I’m quite certain I’ll learn lots of new stuff right here! Finest of luck for the next!

livecam said:

Just wanted to say that is in my favorite blog list on #3 place, This is again an super informing post Cheers livecam