367822192_9d3b135289
Did you know that there are less than ten hours until “Pantsless O’Clock?” Neither did we, until we were introduced to the official website, that is.

The site proclaims that “Pantsless O’Clock is a daily reminder to take time to enjoy life unrestricted by pants, trousers, or similar leg coverings. Too often we keep our lower bodies covered and constricted.” That’s cool. A little funny, we suppose. But perhaps the simple act of shedding one’s pants is representative of much more: For anywhere from several moments to an entire hour, being pantsless flies in the face of the societal necessities demanded of us at all other times. It could be, essentially, the ideal of perfect psychological liberation.

But what is all this getting at? Well, we here at The Clog were a little bit saddened after hearing about the results of a 2009 survey conducted by the American College Health Association, stating that “39 percent of college students will feel hopeless during the school year, 25 percent will feel so depressed they’ll find it hard to function, 47 percent will experience overwhelming anxiety and 84 percent will feel overwhelmed by all they have to do.”

Psychiatrist David Leibow postulates that the reason for so much of this depression lies in the desire of all students to succeed in such academically rigorous environments. That intellectual and societal impetus toward absolute success can become a crushing burden when students don’t achieve the exacting standards set for themselves.

Maybe we all just need to learn to become more comfortable with ourselves, with our deficiencies and our strengths. Maybe there’s a time, each day, that can help us get there. Maybe we’re just searching for a reason to promote pantslessness. In any case, as this week comes to a close and we all busy ourselves with studies, we’ll definitely be looking forward to taking a couple minutes to leave our anxieties, and our pants, in the past.

Image Source: laffy4k under Creative Commons
Pantsless O’Clock [tekgo.org]
The Number One Cause of College Unhappiness [Huffington Post]