Mr. Birgeneau, it must be said: you are not so good at the making of the friends.

In the wake of the announcement on Tuesday that five of Berkeley’s sports will soon be no more, affected teams and their supporters are obviously less than pleased. Not least of these is men’s rugby — specifically coach Jack Clark, who more or less considers cutting his sport bullsh*t.

Our word, not his. But it’s the basic message he sends by insisting that it makes no sense to get rid of a sport for money-saving purposes when it gets most of its funding from private sources. And in response to Chancellor Birgeneau’s assertion that rugby should be able to retain its elite status as a club, Coach Clark’s sentiment is, in a word, “False” (again, ours not his) — which is why he’s doing whatever he can to reverse the decision, including trying to establish a women’s rugby team to even things out gender-wise.

Now for a real quote from Clark: “Yesterday was the worst day of my life.” Also: “[I]t breaks my heart.” Dudes, he’s coached 21 of our national championships teams. It’s pretty upsetting … kind of like that Bif Naked video.

Bif Naked We’re not gonna take it [YouTube]
Cal baseball, rugby refuse to go quietly after termination of their programs [Mercury News]

Forrest Sardinas said:

Thank you, I have just been looking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?