Freshmen from back in the day were way cooler, no lie.

Freshmen from back in the day were way cooler.

Responding to a question posed by the New York Times regarding how college freshmen have “changed,” professors from across the country weighed in with expectedly dismal pronouncements regarding the modern student’s ability to transition into independent life.

“Students are different now,” laments Linda Bips, a psychologist and assistant professor at Muhlenberg College. According to her, current college students were raised in an environment so as to become overly sensitive to failure.

“Our world is more stressful in general because of the current economic and political realities, but I don’t believe that the college experience itself is more intense today than the past 10 years. What I do think is that many students are often not prepared to be young ‘adults’ with all the responsibilities of life.”

The quotation marks enclosing the term ‘adults?’ That hurts. But perhaps not as much as what Bips has to say about the adverse effects of our apparent immaturity on professors like her, who are forced into “[assisting] in the basic parenting of these students.” Sigh.

Philip Babcock, an economics professor at UCSB, joins in on the hate. “Academics aren’t the problem,” he states, regarding why many students fall into stress during the school year. According to “the data,” students spend much less time studying these days, and more time socializing and “playing on the computer.”

What? No! No, we weren’t crying. There was just something in our eye. And to the allegations on our immaturity: that’s just wrong and basely unfair. If you old people keep that stuff up, we’re going to tell Mom.

In all seriousness, however: of course college kids have changed. Everyone has changed. The world changes. That’s the way it is. And you know what? Bleeding-heart nostalgia for some idealized notion of the good old days, where kids were adults and where everyone was in a perpetual state of picking himself up by his bootstraps has no place in this changed world. So if we quit playing the Nintendo set and clean up our room, can you bring yourselves to understand that?

Image Source: clempage under Creative Commons
Have College Freshmen Changed? [NY Times Opinion]

Posted in: Sandbox
Tags:, , ,
Comments (6)
Print This Post Print This Post

Sanbie C. said:

What a crock of ****
I was stupid-er 40 years ago
at Cal than my son is today at Cal.
He might be a wussie but I was
a total stoner.

Cristina E. said:

I agree. I don’t think I was ready for college when I first started at age 17. That’s why I did very poorly my first couple of years. After that I decide to take a break and get a job. I really feel that having a job has helped me so much as far as maturing. Now I’m back in college at age 21 and taking alot of freshmen classes over. I feel like a fish out of water with my classmates in some of those courses. So many of the students act like their still in high school. I can’t believe some of the things they say and do. I know I was immature when I started but that was mostly because of self doubt, stress, and extreme shyness. Most of these students are just jackasses! It’s like I always say, college students are just high schoolers with adult privileges.

Old School said:

Hey that’s me with the hockey stick – daddy forgot to send me my monthly allowance from my trust fund that’s why I have no shoes on.

The title pretty a lot says it all.

Izaak Dąbrowski said:

Manny said:

hahaha. they can take their bs back to high school. these “college students” aint gonna get in to law school or medical school actin a fool like that. nope, they’ll be upgrading my value meals at mcdonalds, bitches. lol. & im a college senior btw. lol