After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on Earth.

We wouldn’t be breaking any ground to point out the unholy influence that the entertainment industry holds over our day-to-day lives. It’s a phenomenon of particular frustration when considering that little things like voter turnout are overwhelmingly superseded by hype over the latest episode of Jersey Shore. Just check out Yahoo’s top searches, for crying out loud. Our country’s priorities are, shall we say, askew.

Turns out it’s not just the general public who could use a serious reality check. Good old ex-prez George W. Bush told Matt Lauer, in an interview to be aired Nov. 8 regarding his upcoming book “Decision Points,” that the “all-time low” he experienced in his presidency was when Kanye West criticized the response to Hurricane Katrina by calling Bush a racist.

What. The. F**k.

The early transcript blows our minds. Even Lauer clearly couldn’t wrap his head around the idiocy of it all. Stating in a tone that we can only imagine was dripping with disbelief: “You’re not saying that the worst moment in your presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You’re saying it was when someone insulted you because of that,” Lauer inevitably discovered that he was talking to a wall — one built on a cultural foundation of ignorance, denial and the horrifying misconception that the actuality of Katrina (not to mention every other tragic and/or asinine thing that went down while Bush was in office) could possibly matter less than the resultant opinion of Kanye West.

Of course, no one is more invested in Kanye’s opinion than Kanye himself. As if this story wasn’t already ridiculous enough, the appallingly self-involved artist responded to Bush’s revelation by comparing the whole thing to the backlash surrounding West’s charming behavior at last year’s VMAs. Because the outcome of a disastrous presidential administration is totes the same as belligerent douchebaggery vis-a-vis Taylor Swift’s music video. Quoth Kanye:

Well, I definitely can understand the way he feels, to be accused of being a racist in any way, because… the same thing happened to me, you know, where I got accused of being a racist. … For both situations, it was basically a lack of compassion that America felt in that situation. … And now I’m more open. And the poetic justice that I feel, to have went through the same thing that he went [through]. And now I really more connect with him, on… just a humanitarian level. Because that next morning, when he felt that — I felt that, too.

On the subject of said connection, the Clog has never felt less invested in humanity than we do right now.

Undoubtedly, part of what’s at work here is the fearsome spectacle of overinflated egos allowed to run wildly out of control. But this level of delusion doesn’t just happen without some serious contribution from the larger societal context in which it is permitted to subsist. Where oh where did we go so wrong that such rampant and dangerous irrationality can not only abide but actually flourish? No way can we say we’re not complicit in giving these people any kind of authority in our lives.

And when we say authority, we’re talking about the former leader of the free world and one of the most successful celebrities of all time (of all time!).

Nothing can save us now.

Bush Doesnt Care About Black People [YouTube]
George Bush Says Kanye West’s Attack Was Low Point Of His Presidency [NPR]
Earlier: Omniscient Octopus No More

roulette method said:

cat roulette