166519723_90c9d2935d-1

Check your email, folks, ’cause UC president Mark Yudof just sent you a message. Actually, technically Chancellor Birgeneau sent you an email with a link to Yudof’s letter, but you know what we mean.

Yudof is proposing some changes for UCs. It’s unclear whether any or all of these will be implemented, but they will directly affect all of us, so pay attention.

First, Yudof proposes that employees of the UC continue to put more money into their own retirement plans without any reduction in benefits. Along with this, he proposes that employees hired after July 1, 2013 “will be offered a plan with modestly reduced benefits.”

Second, the prez suggests an 8 percent fee increase in the 2011-2012 school year (this will most likely mean a yearly fee of $12,150 for “tuition and average campus fees”). Of the money raised from this increase, Yudof proposes that a third go to financial aid.

Third, Yudof wants to “raise the ceiling of our Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan to include families with incomes of less than $80,000″ with the money received from the above proposal. This means that potentially families who make $80,000 or less a year would get their tuition costs covered. Along with this Yudof wants financially needy families with $120,000 or less a year to have their own middle-income grant program that would cover the cost of the fee increase for one year.

Of course, whether you find this heartening or terrifying, these measures have yet to be implemented. As Yudof says, “the decision with all these proposals ultimately rests with the Board of Regents.” No doubt there will be many reactions to all these proposals (the fee increase alone might generate some heated debate). So let’s start now. What do you think? Good, bad or indifferent? Does this make your blood boil or your heart skip a beat?

Image source: tiseb under Creative Commons
Open letter to California from UC President Mark G. Yudof [UC Newsroom]