angry

Today was the first day of November’s Regents’ meeting, and let us tell you, they’ve got all sorts of fun events planned.

There are some protests even today, but as Berkeleyside shrewdly noted, they were a little sleepy, at least on campus. On the agenda today is the always-stimulating Committee on Grounds and Buildings. Just kidding. That sounds pretty boring. So boring, in fact, that we’re not even going to look up what they’re doing. They could be voting to steamroller all of UC Berkeley’s campus and we’d never know. Yudof, take note.

The first of the big events will take place tomorrow, where organizers are expecting 200 to 400 protesters at the UC San Francisco Mission Bay campus, where the meeting is being held. On the agenda are changes in nonresident enrollment (read: more out-of-state students for more $$$) and officially changing the name of “student fees” to “tuition.” It seems like a reasonable change, given that at the moment one can still claim that “the University remains tuition-free to California residents” and dismiss that $10,000 or so a year that you pay as a mere technicality.

The big kahuna is on Thursday when the Regents will vote on (and let’s face it, probably pass) an 8 percent increase in fees on the heels of last year’s 32 percent increase. They’ll also be voting on expanding the UC’s financial aid program. Way to throw us a bone, guys.

Professional degree increases are also on the table and big man Yudof will be discussing pensions, but they won’t be taking any vote.

As we said, the meeting will be held at UC San Francisco. (We have not failed to notice that the last two Regents’ meetings held at UC Berkeley were in November 2005 and November 1991. Are you scared of us?) There are shuttles to the campus from the Mission Street BART stations if you’re interested in going to watch for yourself.

Image Source: dboy under Creative Commons
Rallies Planned for Regents’ Meeting [Daily Cal]

you have an amazing weblog right here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my weblog?