142070879_52a83d8991_b In a discovery that is sure to broaden the scope of modern insults, researchers — including UC Berkeley’s Montgomery Slatkin — have found a finger bone in a Siberian cave which suggests that there were three distinct human species in existence 40,000 years ago.

This third species — called the “Denisovans” — was likely prevalent throughout much of Eurasia, though researchers admit that little is known about them archeologically or morphologically. Recently concluded genetic analysis on the bone has shown that the Denisovans may have contributed up to 6 percent of the modern human genome among certain populations, one researcher claiming that:

“In combination with the Neanderthal genome sequence, the Denisovan genome suggests a complex picture of genetic interactions between our ancestors and different ancient hominin groups.”

Hmm. “Genetic interactions.” That’s quite the euphemism. Anthropological research is ongoing, but in the mean time, the next time you are looking to insult someone’s primitive nature, you can forgo the now-trite “neanderthal” in favor of the more current “denisovan.”

Image Source: erix! under Creative Commons
Genome of Extinct Siberian Cave-dweller Linked to Modern-day Humans [NSF]

Tweets that mention The Daily Clog » Third Human Species Discovered -- Topsy.com said:
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:57 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Marianne Smith, Berkeley News. Berkeley News said: Third Human Species Discovered: In a discovery that is sure to broaden the scope of modern insults, researchers … http://bit.ly/eJ88Lt [...]

I havebookmarked it and I am lookingforward to reading new article.thanks

Spot on with this write-up, I really assume this website wants rather more consideration. I’ll probably be once more to learn far more, thanks for that info.

Samantha said:

This is a comment to the admin. I came to your “The Daily Clog » Third Human Species Discovered” page via Google but it was hard to find as you were not on the front page of search results. I see you could have more visitors because there are not many comments on your site yet. I have found a website which offers to dramatically increase your rankings and traffic to your website: http://aerotraffic.com/web-traffic/. I managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services, you could also get lot more targeted traffic than you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) Take care.