christopher-edleyWe’re writing from the Steinhard Courtyard of Boalt Hall, where a in collaboration with UCMeP (UC Movement for Efficient Privatization)-organizedSave Our Dean (SOD) just concluded a Solidarity Rally for Law School Dean Christopher Edley, complete with catchy slogans,  a remote-controlled car, barf bags, well-dressed law students, and healthy doses of equal parts hope, idealism and passion.

Drums punctuate the chants of “No pensions, no peace!” and ”Executive pensions are under attack! What do we do? Stand up and fight back!”

A law student takes the microphone to say, with a straight face, “You, sir, turn the epithet, ‘craven scum,’ into an honorific. We’re all craven scum!” as rally-goers erupt into cheers.

The rally is in response to a recent letter co-signed by 36 UC executives to UC President Mark Yudof and the Regents arguing against the establishment of pension benefit caps and the Dean’s decision to be amongst the signatories.

And what does that have to do with remote-controlled cars and barf bags?

The little bright orange car maneuvering between the forest of students’ legs is the future Tesla vehicle Dean Edley will be able to afford with the pension benefits the fictitious Apollo Group representative is offering him, while the barf bags are actually BARF bags, the Bereft Administrators’ Relief Fund’s fundraising containers.

(Note: Post edited for accuracy)

Image source: Save Our Dean web banner

UCMeP said:
Jan 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Clarification: this was not a UCMeP organized rally. And Save Our Dean is an awesome and entirely independent group. UCMeP was just lending a helping hand to those who need it.

Yesterday’s “Assembly to Defend Dean Edley’s Pension” was no Joke! | UC Movement for Efficient Privatization (UCMeP) said:
Jan 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

[...] For more coverage on yesterday’s action, see this story from the Daily Clog. [...]

Aye P. Daily said:
Jan 23, 2011 at 8:03 am

Excellent work!!! Keep it up. You are inspiring a movement.

UCMeP said:
Jan 24, 2011 at 8:53 am

Dear Daily Clog,
Thank you for the clarification. You are way better than the Daily Cal.